F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

HID Conversion kit

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2007, 12:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HID Conversion kit

I was looking into getting some HID lights. I looked on ebay, and thekits that are "for motorcycles" seem to cost as much as the other ones, except that you only get one bulb and ballast. Is there any difference between the kits labeled for bikes, as opposed to those that are not? I am guessing as long as they are H7 bulbs, it doesn't matter.
Also, I have seen the write ups on having to run the wiring all the way to your trunk to hide the ballast, but with these new "ultra-slim" ones, is that necessary? or can it be hidden somewhere up front without modification? (I ask because electrical work is not exactly my specialty).
Thanks.

Old 11-19-2007, 01:01 PM
Registered Users
Default RE: HID Conversion kit

okay seeing as no one has answered you yet...the motorcycle kits only come with one yes and you actually need two (at least in the f4is, high/low beam) so you actually get the car ones and use both ballasts....bufferedaspirin did an awesome write up on how to mount it...here's the link...and a link to an HID kit for $100 that everyone has said works great with no problems (a lot cheaper than some of those other kits) the HIDs have been used by Blue Fox and I am going to get them this winter as well....

there are some other write ups with pictures, but look around you'll find em...also showing how you can mount the ballasts in the front fairing....

https://cbrforum.com/m_363323/tm.htm

Old 11-19-2007, 01:42 PM

I use the automotive kit by the same guy blue fox used off ebay.Only difference is i got the slim ballast and mounted them in my front (in the nose).So basicly i can pull the front off just like if it had normal lights.

I run the 5k kit ,i love them

Old 11-19-2007, 09:26 PM
Banned

I purchased the automotive kit. I have not looked at the write up but I was able to mount them in the nose as well. A little tight with two ballast's but fits just fine. I used the 10k bulbs and it is a illegal blue. I am serously thinking about going to a 8 or 5k bulb. I wired my power up to the high beam switch. This way both lights are on at the same time. I cant stand the one eye ***** look. With this I can display my angel eyes nicely. I then took and re-adjusted high beam to point at the same distance as the regular side. I can ride with lights on or off. Always on for safety but there are times when I just want the angel eyes on like in large group rides or parking lots etc.....

Old 11-19-2007, 10:00 PM
Banned

The way I understand it, the 3500k gives the most light, I am running 6or 7 at it is a little blue. I don't like an HID high beam because start-up can be rough and that they take a few seconds to fully light up. Also the reflectors on our bikes are a little sloppy for HID (although I never get flashed for my low beam) so if you can find a kit with the projector it would be best.

Old 11-19-2007, 10:26 PM

I run the 5/6k system(depends on who you get it from on what its rated at).
I run hid on both sides.THe few seconds it takes to warm up,i can live with.The pattern isnt perfect but compaired to the stock lights or even PIAA upgrades.THere is no comparision. I love the HID high beam,mainly to **** off idiots that cut me off at night or early in the morning on my way to work..

Nothing like giving the person in front of you a TAN lol.. At night esp in the country where i live, the high beam is awesome.

Old 11-20-2007, 08:02 AM

HID's for the win. I got 10K's, not the brightest, but look awesome.

Old 11-20-2007, 09:45 AM

You guys have any pics? Especially cutoff?

Old 11-20-2007, 03:48 PM

Thanks guys. And if possible, can one of you guys who mounted the ballasts in the nose post a pic, I am curious where you put them. Thanks again.

Old 11-20-2007, 03:48 PM
July 2008 ROTM

It's a reflector housing, there is no cut off.

Quick Reply: HID Conversion kit