F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Hi - First-time rider, looking into F4i's!

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2007, 11:31 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Hi - First-time rider, looking into F4i's!

Just my 2 cents...I just moved up from a Ninja 250 to and 05 F4i. Big difference in power and handling. The 250 is very light, easy to learn on and goes through corners like they are not even there.

Without boring everyone with the details......let's just say that while working on my riding skills I had some real mind farts, lapse of judgement, newb mistakes that we all make etc that if I was on the F4i I would have absolutely dumped the bike or worse. Accidently grabbing a handful of throttle on a 600 vs the 250 is the difference between staining your shorts and more than likely wrecking.

Rode the 250 for a year...it was invaluable to me as a new rider and I'm 42 years old. The Ninja 250 is a great bike....more than capable of doing over 100 mph (not that I have) and for riding around town it is perfect. I never had any problem taking that thing for long weekend rides in the country. More than enough power for a beginner.

I might actually hang onto the 250 as it is a blast to ride. It is one of a few bikes that you can actually use almost all the powerband around town. Not so sure that would work out too well with the F4i

Get yourself a used Ninja 250 and ride the snot out of it.
jmo

Goose

Old 10-31-2007, 01:30 PM

I rode a Ninja 500 for 6 months / 4000 miles before the F4i, and I can't say enough good things about it.

It's as small and flickable as the 250, but it has a lot more power and mass, so you'll learn many of the lessons of a bigger bike. Plus, it won't wheelie on you if you accidentally grab a handful of throttle (yes, an F4i will) but it still gets to 60 in 3.5 seconds and through the quarter in 12--faster than almost all production cars. You can find one with really low miles (read: no maintenance worries ever) and a few scratches for well under $3 grand.

When I picked up my F4i, the transition was so easy I literally rode it around the block twice, then took it right on the highway and made the 100+ mile trip home, and I was just as comfortable on it as I would have been my 500.

Old 10-31-2007, 06:51 PM

I recently rode a '05 Ninja 500...so while i still say the F4i would be a decent learning bike, i really wish i had one of those 500's as my first. It's very forgiving and easy to ride and you can get the hang of it while not having to think about all sorts of other things (like you do with bigger 600cc sportbikes). It really takes the fear factor out of learning, leading to learning faster and more enjoyment. And yes, as a new rider there will be times when you will accidently grab a whole lot of throttle. This can get you in BIG trouble. I didn't really have as much problem with that as i was used to riding wave runners (same throttle action, but while riding waves). But it's still a valid consideration. While the F4i might be just fine, i don't see any reason not to get a 250 or 500 for a summer, resell (yes, you'll get most of your money back), and then get what you really want. This is the best course of action, imo.

Old 11-01-2007, 08:53 AM

F4i was my first bike, and I started out slow and willing to learn. And I've found it wasn't that hard to learn on, I mean no doubt in my mind that a 250 would've been a much better learning bike, but F4i definately wasn't unfriendly. Just need to not ride above your limit.

Old 11-01-2007, 09:50 AM

best advice, don't buy it. Really bad first bike.

Old 11-01-2007, 12:20 PM

ORIGINAL: Pete02F4i

my 02 F4i is my first bike. Its not hard to ride, or learn on at all, but it will definitely mess you up if you don't respect the bike, and your skill level.
thats the best statement ever given +1 because if ur not stupid and ride in ur limits you will be fine

Old 11-01-2007, 12:55 PM

ORIGINAL: boost90

ORIGINAL: Pete02F4i

my 02 F4i is my first bike. Its not hard to ride, or learn on at all, but it will definitely mess you up if you don't respect the bike, and your skill level.
thats the best statement ever given +1 because if ur not stupid and ride in ur limits you will be fine
actually... that's the most mistaken statement I've heard as advice from new riders time and time and time again... If I had a nickel for everytime I heard this statement.

riding in your limits you will be fine... how does that equate when some cage pulls over next to you at 55+ Mph on the slab ? How does that equate to the cager turning left in front of you? Oh.... I'll buy a 600cc supersport but I'll just take it easy..

Also how does riding in your limits and toning down what you do help you improve as a rider? It doesn't, you're limiting yourself cause you're already setting yourself up a barrier cause your scared.

The simple reason the f4i is a bad beginner bike is that it is a supersport. Doesn't matter if it's a few years older than todays top of the line RR's, they still contain great breaking ability, and incredible HP which in the hands of a new rider are just asking for a trouble.

New riders will make mistakes.. we all did. With a smaller displacement more forgiving bike like a 250 or 500 Ninja, GS 500f Suz, etc... new riders can improve on their skills and better their learning curve. The mistakes they make on those smaller bikes are more forgiving and will keep you from crashing or dumping, compared to jumping on a supersport. mistakes on an f4i will be amplified a 100x times compared to doing it on a Ninja 500.

The other being that the beginner bikes are cheaper, and you can trade it in after a season or two to for a new bike for nearly the same price you bought it for. Save your dosh it's your first bike not your last! Get the experience under your belt on the smaller bike and move up!

He's got the bike now I assume, so now he's stuck with it. Can he learn on this yes... is it a good idea for a new rider... no... it's not a good recomendation.

Make sure you wear all your gear all the time.

Old 11-01-2007, 01:29 PM

Another vote for the 500 Ninja. It wasn't my first bike but it was what I had before my F3. I got it when I was commuting to college (about 90 miles a day) and kept it for about 7 years. I was ready for something bigger before I sold it but I didn't have the money when I got married. Still, it was really fun to ride even though it didn't have as much power as some other bikes. Comfortable riding position, good gas mileage and not too expensive.

Tool Man

Old 11-01-2007, 02:32 PM

see i can agree with u in some aspects of that smaka but also some mistakes like that it doesnt matter what bike your on because if in on a 250 600 1000 or whatever if u get cut off or uncomfortable on a curve you f*ckd no matter what the bike is but as for power if riden big bikes but i believe 75% of what happens to you when your on it is how you ride it. and no matter what bike your on if u keep it in your riding ability you should be fine. and the 250 we can all agree has now power and is almost a waste of cash but on the other hand the 500 isnt as bad. still have some power is lighter etc. etc. but the thing is how far will he push himself? how much throttle will he use? how much will he ride b4 he takes it to the street? because when i got my first bike. a 900rr i was scared as hell getting on the freeway but i respected it and never had one problem but i did get rear ended by some dumb blonde on her cell phone of course not my fault but u see where im going. if he rides in his limits keeps off the throttle and does slow practicing he will be fine

Old 11-01-2007, 03:48 PM

Is an F4i a good choice for a beginner (with no previous motorcycle experience)? Probably not. Can you still learn on one? Absolutely; I did. Have I made mistakes that could have (and in one case, actually did) resulted in a wreck? Sure, but to say it wouldn't have happened on a smaller bike is pretty ignorant. The one wreck I did have involved not paying attention to lane position and consequently taking a turn too wide; the same thing would've happened on a 250r.

Anyways, take it easy; get used to the throttle, brakes, and clutch in a parking lot. Just don't ride around a parking lot for a week and then proceed to tear up the streets; there's next to no traffic in a parking lot, so you can't expect to learn how to react just by riding around one. Also, make sure your practice involves quick stops (squeeze the front brake, don't grab. Grabbing will probably result in locking up the front wheel, which is very bad. If your back wheel locks up, keep it locked up. Also, please don't try to brake in a turn.) and swerves (both of which are skills covered in the MSF course). Oh, and wear your gear

Quick Reply: Hi - First-time rider, looking into F4i's!