F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Hi - First-time rider, looking into F4i's!

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2007, 01:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hi - First-time rider, looking into F4i's!

Hey guys, I just joined this site after having done a little bit of research on the Internet and having reached a semi-conclusion that I should look into getting a 2001-2002ish CBR F4i as my first bike (next spring). I intend to take the motorcycle training & safety course (of course) and get all the required gear to be as safe as possible. I've only been on a bike (as a passenger) maybe a dozen times, once on a 2002 GSXR 600 and the other times on a 2006 Suzuki Boulevard M50 (I think?).

I want a race (race-like?) bike because I love the way they look, and feel (at least just sitting / not riding) and I'm sure I'll enjoy the power as I get more experience and become more comfortable riding. I'll probably end up riding in the city a bit, but would prefer taking back roads with less traffic.

So with that said, and after the little amount of research that I've done, it seems like a 2001-2002ish CBR F4i would suit my needs. I get the impression that this is a good, reliable bike, that's also good to start learning on, is comfortable, etc. Am I right in thinking so? What else can you tell me about it given my situation?

Thanks in advance for your help!I plan on spending quite some time on this site and educating myself as much as I can before I buy.

Old 10-30-2007, 04:12 PM
Default RE: Hi - First-time rider, looking into F4i's!

My first bike was a 02 F4i and i have loved every minute of it

Old 10-30-2007, 04:59 PM

take it easy at first and ypu shouldn't have to many problems.

Old 10-30-2007, 05:10 PM
Banned

I think the F4i (and any newer 600cc sportbikes)is a little too much bike for a first timer, that is not to say you won't ride and learn and be safe. All I am saying is that your chances of getting hurtgo up with learning on a sportbike and that a cruiser for a year would be more prudent, after all, you don't really know the kind of riding you will be doing or your demeanor when riding or even if you will like it. Besides, city riding on a sportbike sucks.Good luck shopping.

Old 10-30-2007, 05:17 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's my first big bike (a 10x jump from the previous CCs)... so I've done a lot with it... 1000mi weekend, track day, commuting, crashing... never once doubted that it's an amazing machine. take it easy and never stop learning.

If you've never ridden 2 wheels with a gearbox then maybe you should look into 250ccs... you can learn more that way and be safe at the same time. 600cc power can mask some of the riding techniques that are good to learn... also you will drop (hope I'm proven wrong) your first bike, so 250ccs are cheaper.

Old 10-30-2007, 05:59 PM

i agree in some ways and disagree as well. i started on a 900rr but i respected it way to much power yes i will agree. thats a well known fact. but if u start on a 250 it to me is a waste a smaller 600 such as the f4i meant for all around riding unlike the rr and others its not as powerful and u wont get bored as easy i had a 250 after i got rearended on my 900 but i got a 250 to commute as well i had the 900 for about 2 weeks and got in a wreck. so i was new to riding as far as im concerned a f4i is a great beginner bike

Old 10-30-2007, 06:16 PM

F4i all the way it's a easy bike to start with adn you can find them pretty cheap

Old 10-30-2007, 06:35 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wouldn't call an f4i 'smaller' by any means... not because it threatens my ego or anything, but because it puts out ~105-110bhp (factory spec), weighs like 390 pounds (which is on par with other 600s of '02), it's easy as any 600 to flick into corners, and gets from 0-60mph in under 3 seconds... that's 0.5sec faster than Lamborghini's flagship 650bhp.
AFAIK the rr might beat it out in things like mass centralization, slight more lean, fuel mapping etc. since it's a post-03 newer design anyway. All that makes 0 difference to a new rider.

So no, you wont be any safer on an F4i, although you might be a tiny bit more comfortable. Make sure it has replaceable frame sliders, even swing arm sliders.

Old 10-30-2007, 10:35 PM

It's all about ego. I looked at 9 f4i before buying and ever one of them had large chick strips. Most rider can not get this bike close to it's potental and that's fine as long as you ride within your limits. Keep it geared down and takesmall steps.There are also more than the basic coarse that you can take. If you live close to a track, the local club also will provideperformance coarses. Have fun.

Old 10-30-2007, 10:36 PM

F4i definitely isn't a "beginner" bike but you can learn to ride on it. I did. Youhave to be constantly aware of your throttle inputs, the issue is mainly in emergencies.Quick example, in many carwrecks, the driver panics and hits the gas rather than the brake because their foot is already there.On a bike, if you have an emergency situation and panic,twisting the throttle will make theexperience a lot more painful and the hospital stay will be a lot longer. It seems like a reachbut if you watch a few MSF coursesyou'll seehow common it is fornew riders to grab the throttle instead of the brakes when they have a problem. I've seen a couple Honda Rebels crash because of those mistakes, now try it at 50+ mph on a bike that has 5x the horsepower. Its not unlikely that you'll be thrown high enough to see into the next state over.

I still can't believe how many people say the F4i is more of a beginner bike than the RR, thats almost funny!I believe its slightly lighter weight than the 03 RR and is down, what like 3 HP? That barely noticable difference is masked by the F4i having a 3 teeth larger rear sprocket (which IS a noticable difference) so it will definitely take off from you as fast or faster than an RR. A few HP isn't any more dangerous, the RR just looks faster because its got more aggressive styling. The F4i can be considered better for a beginner because its more comfortable and can be had cheaper, but thats about it.

Quick Reply: Hi - First-time rider, looking into F4i's!