F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Help! Power Commander problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2007, 11:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help! Power Commander problem

ok, So I installed my power commander today, however when I hooked it up to the computer it says that there is no connection.... so here are my questions,, the directions it comes with are vage,, so does the key have to be on? yes right? also, does the fuel ignition/kill switch be in the on or off position? didn't know that, tried both, do I also need the 9-volt battery? no right? not with ignition on?? usb is hooked up to computer, all softwear is loaded right,,,,oh,,,,,,, also,,,,, when the pcIII is hooked up and i turn the key on, I should still be able to hear my fuel pump right? cause I didn't even hear that? which makes me think there is something wrong in the pcIII or ****, I really don't know,, help me out please, I'll anwser your question cause I want to get this thing going!

Old 06-11-2007, 02:48 AM
Default RE: Help! Power Commander problem

Does the PCIII light up?
Did you connect the Ground wire?

Old 06-11-2007, 03:15 AM
IDL

Hey I just installed my PC3 on friday, cheers!

I know the instructions kinda suck on how to actually use the damn thing. I plugged it into my computer and set the map on it before I installedon the bikeand forthat I had to plug the 9-volt battery into it before my computer would recognize it.

You may just want to try that even if you'd think you wouldn't have to..

On a side note:

Does anyone know what the low - mid - high buttons are used for???
I'm a PCIII rookie

Old 06-11-2007, 12:46 PM

I tried with the 9 volt, but after about 45 sec, that battery got hot as hell,, but then when I connected the ground cable the battery no longer got hot

Old 06-11-2007, 02:12 PM

was that when you had it out of the bike or in with ground not hooked up. When I loaded my map I had it sittin next to the PC with only the battery (9v) hooked up and it didn't get hot.. If you had it installed in the bike and battery got it was probably shorting out without the ground hooked up, because of the 12v battery of the bike overloading it. When its not in bike and you hook up battery that completes the circut for power.

Old 06-11-2007, 02:37 PM
Registered Users

Triple check that you plugged it into the correct spot, there's a connector that fits perfectly that's not under the tank so you may have plugged it in there. (That's what I did.)

Old 06-12-2007, 01:28 AM

So,, are you saying that the plug under the tank on the left side thats just under the mud flap is the wrong plug?? thats the one I'm using,, oh, and the other question above,, yes, bike not on, power commander not even on bike yet, put 9-volt on it and it got hot!

Old 06-12-2007, 02:36 AM

ORIGINAL: jayking232003

So,, are you saying that the plug under the tank on the left side thats just under the mud flap is the wrong plug?? thats the one I'm using,, oh, and the other question above,, yes, bike not on, power commander not even on bike yet, put 9-volt on it and it got hot!
That's the right plug you're using on the left of the tank under the flap.

Is this a fresh brand new PCIII or a used one from someone else?

Well if putting the ground on the PCIII cooled it down then just program from that.
Or e-mail/call dynojet?

Old 06-12-2007, 04:15 AM
IDL

Or don't plug it in at all. Just USB toyour computerand 9-volt. Set the map, then plug it into the bike.

That's what I did and no problems

Old 06-12-2007, 02:25 PM

JB has a good point, there is another plug somewhere that is the same. My directions specifically stated not to use that one. But from where you have described you plugged in that should be right. I still don't like the idea that the battery got hot just bein plugged in to the PCIII and nothing else.

Quick Reply: Help! Power Commander problem