F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Help!! Flat Tire

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2006, 05:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help!! Flat Tire

I went to take my bike out yesterday and noticed the rear tire was flat. [sm=WTFsgign.gif] I'm sure it didn't happen till I got home from my last ride b/c i'm sure i would have noticed it while riding, right? I did a quick check and think i saw a small hole. Whats next? I know the soapy water deal but after that........Do i plug the tire and keep riding? Do i take it somewhere to put a patch on the inside of the tire then keep riding? Or just buy a new one? The friggin tire had only 400 miles on it. Hell the bike only has 400 miles on it, so its probably the orig. tire. Just bought the bike. If i get a new tire, do i go with the same tire or can they be diff. tires. Its a Dunlop Sportmax D207p 180/55/zr17. I think. Do i take the rim and tire off and take it to a dealer, or just get it to hold air and ride there. New to bike mechanics too. Oh its an 04' f4i. Totally unsure and pissed. Please help.[sm=helpout.gif]

Old 04-20-2006, 05:48 PM
Default RE: Help!! Flat Tire

if the damage isn't on the sidewall you can always plug/patch it up. a buddy of mine did that when he had a flat on a tire he just got. rode it with no problems for like 4000 miles.

Old 04-20-2006, 05:55 PM

the damage is about half way between the middle and sidewall.
will not be using for track just commuting and some fun riding on weekends. back roads and stuff.

Old 04-20-2006, 06:40 PM

I've been told by many places that you shouldnt patch a motorbike tire. I'd guess this is because they are rated to go to much higher speeds than the average car tire. I would just buy a new tire, it's not really worth the risk. Just imagine a highspeed blowout. They usually charge less if you just bring in the wheel but you can take the whole bike in no problem.

Old 04-20-2006, 07:07 PM

I think this is a good time for you to buy chromes. Take off both wheels, have the tires and bearings removed and trade them in for chromes for about $500 and slap new tires on.

I am waiting for my tires to wear to do the same thing.

Old 04-20-2006, 08:07 PM

new rear tire
it's not safe to plug motorcycle tires

Old 04-20-2006, 08:17 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

don't ride with a plug. you can change to another tire if you like. front and rear don't have to match if you're just cruising around town, but if you do canyons, track, or ride hard, they better match!

don't do chrome...makes your wheel much heavier and the gyration effect for turns will make it hard to turn.
unless you're just using the bike to its least potential, then get chrome.

Old 04-20-2006, 09:45 PM

Thanks for the help so far. I might buy a universal stand from my buddy for $50 and maybe take of the tire myself and bring it to the dealer to install the tire. I did a little looking around here and other places and it looks like the 208's are discontinued. I think I have 207's, so they're probably gone too, so should i go with the Qualifiers? How is that tire? Sounds like a good tire after reading about it.

Old 04-21-2006, 12:56 AM

ORIGINAL: delta
so should i go with the Qualifiers? How is that tire? Sounds like a good tire after reading about it.
i think there are many many threads discussing tires... many many different opinions. good luck.

Old 04-21-2006, 01:44 AM

I had a big **** screw in my rear tire with only 500 miles on the bike. I was able to limp it to the dealer (before I had sevice stands) It was also a Dunlop 207 but I got a good deal on a 208 and got one of those for like $100. If you can take the wheel there by itself, you'll save about $50-75 or so.
Definately get a new tire. A bike tire will flex, unlike a car tire, and the plug could leak out air gradually while riding it hard. It's not worth taking a chance.

Quick Reply: Help!! Flat Tire