F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

HELP: canister holding bolt alignment issue

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2009, 10:15 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy HELP: canister holding bolt alignment issue

Hey guys. I'm in need of help. Ever since I cant afford a mechanic I am obligated to do all the maintenance on my 04 f4i by myself. the previous owner of the bike had the Evap Purge Control Solenoid Valve just dangling by the canister so last night I've tried to relocate it and bolt it down so it would not get caught by the chain. The canister is held by a long bolt that goes all the way across. I've tried taking it out, but after a while it would get stucked. So I decided to screw it back up. As I look at the other side where the bolt supposed to go in, I've noticed that the alignment between the bolt and the hole was off a bit. Does any of you know whats the best way to fix that? I am so helpless rightnow considering so many hours I've put into that bike and learning about it since the time I got it. Also, do you guys know where the Evap Purge Control Solenoid Valve should be located at? I'm thinking to just zip tie it to the frame. Please help me!

Last edited by mbison83; 05-15-2009 at 10:17 AM.
Old 05-16-2009, 12:58 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like that bike has been down, and now the subframe is tweaked a lil. Just zip tie up outta the way. If it really bothers you, then pick up a used one. You can get one for pretty cheap since alot of folks are switching over to the split seat set up. (Banana/split mod) I would suggest removing all the fairings and going over the bike with a fine toothed comb. Check for irregularities/stresses in the frame, check the welds for cracks, check the forks out too. Leaky seals, score marks in the metal, different height settings. Good luck bro.

Old 05-16-2009, 09:53 PM

Originally Posted by skoobydoobie
Sounds like that bike has been down, and now the subframe is tweaked a lil. Just zip tie up outta the way. If it really bothers you, then pick up a used one. You can get one for pretty cheap since alot of folks are switching over to the split seat set up. (Banana/split mod) I would suggest removing all the fairings and going over the bike with a fine toothed comb. Check for irregularities/stresses in the frame, check the welds for cracks, check the forks out too. Leaky seals, score marks in the metal, different height settings. Good luck bro.
Thanks for your input and advices bro. To make myself clear, I'm posting few pix. The subframe I have on is untouched (fyi). Anyway, I hope you see where the problem is rightnow. Please let me know what I should do.. I'm thinking I should put a jack under the bike and try to align the pieces that way so the bolt can get thru. What would you suggest?

Attached Thumbnails HELP: canister holding bolt alignment issue-img_2120.jpg   HELP: canister holding bolt alignment issue-img_2126.jpg   HELP: canister holding bolt alignment issue-img_2127.jpg   HELP: canister holding bolt alignment issue-img_2128.jpg   HELP: canister holding bolt alignment issue-img_2130.jpg  

Old 05-17-2009, 01:31 PM

Hit it with a shuryukin uppercut, it'll go in there.
Thats not an F4i swingarm...it looks like it came off an RR. And its kinda hard to tell from the pics, but the mounting surface where the bolt goes looks chewed up some. That looks like the dog-bone for the rear suspension, mine is hooked up to the holes right above where you are trying to put it, but I got a stock swingarm. And part of doing that mod requires modification to the suspension. When you decide to replace the chain and sprockets, you'll need a longer chain cause the RR swinger is 2 inches longer than stock, so count the links before ordering.

Last edited by skoobydoobie; 05-17-2009 at 01:33 PM.
Old 05-17-2009, 05:40 PM

Hit it with a shuryukin uppercut, it'll go in there.
Thats not an F4i swingarm...it looks like it came off an RR. And its kinda hard to tell from the pics, but the mounting surface where the bolt goes looks chewed up some. That looks like the dog-bone for the rear suspension, mine is hooked up to the holes right above where you are trying to put it, but I got a stock swingarm. And part of doing that mod requires modification to the suspension. When you decide to replace the chain and sprockets, you'll need a longer chain cause the RR swinger is 2 inches longer than stock, so count the links before ordering.
i've never heard of a 'shuryukin uppercut'. can you tell me how? lol
thanks a lot for your input. i think you are right about the swingarm, because i know for a fact that the rear frame is off of '05 RR (at least that's what it says). i did not know about the chain, so i will take your advice when shopping for a new chain. do you know where the purge solenoid valve goes?

Old 05-18-2009, 07:56 AM

When you refer to the rear frame, are you talking about what the seats bolt up too? It looks like it goes on the left side of the bike (if sitting on it) behind the heel gaurd. Do a search and D/L the manual. You're gonna need it since you're doing your own work. (mostly for torque values)

Old 05-18-2009, 11:50 AM

When you refer to the rear frame, are you talking about what the seats bolt up too? It looks like it goes on the left side of the bike (if sitting on it) behind the heel gaurd. Do a search and D/L the manual. You're gonna need it since you're doing your own work. (mostly for torque values)
No, I was not talking about the subframe, but the frame that the rear wheel goes on. it is definitely not stock. as far as the manual goes, i do have it downloaded but it does not talk about the position of the purge solenoid valve.

Old 05-18-2009, 08:28 PM

Thats called a swing arm. check out sections 1-35, 1-36 couple good diagrams showing it. Good luck, ride safe.

Old 05-18-2009, 08:45 PM
Thumbs up

Okay. My bike is ready to be ridden now. I've managed to fix the major discrepancies that bothered me. Check out the pix. Now I can go out there and resume my riding training Thanks for all the input scooby.

Attached Thumbnails HELP: canister holding bolt alignment issue-0518091731.jpg   HELP: canister holding bolt alignment issue-0518091731a.jpg  
Old 05-19-2009, 01:50 AM

Glad you got it fixed. I was gonna say just spit on it and give it hell. It'll go in :P

Quick Reply: HELP: canister holding bolt alignment issue