F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Help on buying a new 04 f4i

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2006, 10:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help on buying a new 04 f4i

Hello I am new to this forum, and also new to the street bike scene. I have been riding dirt bikes since i was five i am now 20. So I know my way around bikes. So anyways back to the story. I found a 04 cbr600 f4i all black for 3500 with 5900 mi. The bike had 2 owners. The first owner hit a dear and wrecked thus totaling the bike. The owner that has it now is 18, and rebuilt the bike to like new form. The kid stated that he let his bother ride the bike. Well the brother came back home and said he laid it down at 10mph. Well it left some road rash on the left fairing and left crank case. It also bent the head light assembly. The kid wants to sell it to get a 1000. kid stated his dad made him get a 600 before getting a big bike. The kid was a rich kid. It also needed a rear tire and the left turn signals would intermittently work. Is this a good deal or do I need to find a better bike. Thanks for any input. I am thinking pretty hard on buying it.

Thaks Airik

Old 11-27-2006, 11:14 PM
Retired Administrator
Default RE: Help on buying a new 04 f4i

So you're dealing with a salvage title and it's wrecked again. First off... doesn't sound like he's ready for the liter bike yet. I know in TN I can walk away with a new 600RR for about 7500, .et me look at the F4 price. Ok, they price it at $6,983.00 (you have to add taxes and titling). So with the road rash, crank case and fixing the wiring... I'm sure you're up to at least another $1000. That is if you buy new plastic, have it painted and done by a shop. That brings the total up to $4500 for the bike now. It's low mileage and you're $2500 under the price of a new one. You have to think about the first wreck... totaled as in frame damage or just cosmetic?

I'm just throwing out the cons to make sure you're using your head and not your "I want a bike" part of the brain. I know I've seen a few 600RR around for about $5000 and no mentioning of wrecks. I can pick up an 03 600RR with custom paint and an ugly decal kit for $5000. The only thing wrong with it is the windscreen needs to be replaced because a rock hit it and made a big hole.

Help any?

Old 11-28-2006, 12:05 AM

You have to think about the first wreck... totaled as in frame damage or just cosmetic
It was just cosmetic (the kid says) I didn't notice any damage to the frame every thing looked strait (frame wise). I let go of the handle bars at 60mph and the bike did drift any direction. Is there any way of telling if the fame is damaged in any way?

Old 11-28-2006, 01:21 AM

ORIGINAL: Anakedman

You have to think about the first wreck... totaled as in frame damage or just cosmetic
It was just cosmetic (the kid says) I didn't notice any damage to the frame every thing looked strait (frame wise). I let go of the handle bars at 60mph and the bike did drift any direction. Is there any way of telling if the fame is damaged in any way?
That's good that it didn't seem to drift or shake but I would probably take it by a local bike shop and have them check it out for you. You got any friends or anything that work in a shop that you trust to check out that frame for you? That's just my suggestion. Just have them check out everything and make sure everything looks straight and undamaged because you never know what that bike could've been through! Good luck and be careful with this one!

Old 11-28-2006, 02:31 PM
Retired Moderator

If you want that bike, I would deduct all the estimated repair costs from the asking price. I get a kick out of him laying down the 600 so now he needs a 1000 (he's an excellent candidate for an R1). Anyway, I would steer clear of this bike and look for something with a clean title. Maybe start with something older so you can get a good price and move up from there.

Old 11-28-2006, 03:05 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

too much for salvaged f4i...

if it was like $1500...go for it.

Old 11-28-2006, 04:18 PM

My dads friend is a service manager at the local bike shop I think I will give him a call. I just remember this the bike has aftermarket exhaust that came under the tail of the bike. I don't know if that helps at all but maybe.

Old 11-28-2006, 04:24 PM
Retired Moderator & The Big Deal

if its an f4i for a grand and it runs it's a good deal. but it might be more work to make it legal to ride then your willing to do

Old 11-28-2006, 04:30 PM

No someone told me at work if it has exaust under the tail section its a rr not f4i is this correct. If this is correct than I am in the wrong fourm.

Old 11-28-2006, 04:42 PM

I thought it was the kid's brother that laid the bike down. I'd still get a "frame check" on isle 10 just to be sure.

Quick Reply: Help on buying a new 04 f4i