F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

HELP!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2008, 03:52 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP!!!!!!!!

whatsup? im new to this forum and i need some help. ive been riding for 3 years now and i got a 2001 cbr600 f4i. its been sitting for a while now and the previous owner didnt drain the gasoline. so i go to start it and its fine. it idles and everything but when you rev it, it just makes this glug..glug noise and dies. whats going on? do i need to replace the spark plugs or clean the fuel injectors? if this is something easily fixed id rather try that than go to a shop and spend a ridiculous amount of money. please offer your expertise..

Old 03-11-2008, 08:49 AM
Default RE: HELP!!!!!!!!

I'm pretty new to motorcycles, but I've worked with cars for a while. I would check your air filter. If you're dying at the top end, it might not be sucking enough air to survive at that high of an RPM. If it is old gas you might try puting some additive in it. I don't know if it will help or not, but it's a thought that's popping into my head.

Old 03-11-2008, 09:13 AM

How's the battery? First i'd check the plugs make sure they are fine. If all else fails buy some SeaFoam for 6 bucks add about 1/4 to 1/2 to a full tank and start it up and let her idle for awhile. Also is it cold out when it idles, because they don't like to rev high and fast when you just start them up.

Old 03-11-2008, 11:06 AM

+1 on sea foam. Thats some great stuff. Helps clean up the gunk.

Old 03-11-2008, 06:08 PM

Get fresh gas in there....remove as much as the old stuff you can and put new stuff in there. 87 pump octain and just let it clear out the old gas....it makes a huge difference....and a good place to start.

Old 03-11-2008, 07:31 PM

ok. so i'm currently charging the battery. and about the gasss...... kinda a stupid question but how do i drain it? is there something i have to unscrew somewhere? please help the weather is getting better and i want to hop on asap

Old 03-11-2008, 10:12 PM

You can take off a fairing and loosen up the tank and then pop a line off but if you said the bike fired on the gas that was in there I would not bother. Just get a hose and syphon out as much as you can and put fresh 87 in there....start it up....it make take a bit to get the fresh gas into the injectors. You MAY, I am not sure about this, crank the motor with the throttle open but not fully open. By opening the throttle you will let air in and hopefully not flood the engine with bad gas, but if you open it all the way, it may put the computer into "flood" mode inwhich it stops firing the injectors to try and clear out a flooded motor, but I would like someone to confirm that is how these bikes work.

Basically, syphon the gas out, add fresh 87, start the bike, let it run the bad gas out of itself...

"Anyone who would say to suck on a hose full of gas, probably has tried it and lost a few brain cells, and therefor not realize the stupidity of recommending it to someone else.

A better way to syphon gas would be to stick the hose into the source, fill the hose with a little gas, put your thumb over it, lower it into a container that is lower than the source and remove your thumb. "

Taken from http://www.answerbag.com/q_view/6443

Old 03-13-2008, 10:44 PM

so i drained the gas put new stuff in and it still didnt rev. where can i get this sea foam stuff? is it readily available at stores cos i have never heard of it? soo... next im thinkin maybe sparkplugs(they needed to be replaced anyway). i try to do it with the method of removing the radiator. damn.... very tight workspace. i get the radiator off then realized i didnt have the sparkplug wrench which im assuming the previous owner had. i eventually get the plugs out with hella socket extensions.difficult. is there another way to remove the plugs without the SPARKPLUG wrench? do dealerships have those additives for your gas to clean out the fuel injectors? where can i get it from? mann....what could it be? sparkplugs? fuel? fuel injectors?......oil? does anyone suspect this to be a problem common among f4i owners? i seriously dont know where to go from here. need help.

Old 03-14-2008, 05:39 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

seafoam is available at napa/schucks

Old 03-14-2008, 07:29 PM

well it definitely not cold here in central california. this guy i know who teaches the msf rider course suggested that it might be that the injectors are clumped up or something to that effect. sparkplugs are changed, all harnesses are pluged back in. still not workin, new gas. now i should go get that seafoam stuff. mannn.... i need major help. how would i clean the fuel injectors?