F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

headlights dim

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2011, 10:04 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default headlights dim

Im new to motorcycles and tried searching for the answer i needed and found nothing, but i notice a couple nights ago my headlights dimmed when i release the throttle.is this something to worry about ?and if so what should be replaced to fix? any help appreciated.

Old 12-14-2011, 01:19 AM

mine does that too, i THINK its normal.

Old 12-14-2011, 04:45 AM

Really ,whats funny is I'm just recently noticing it.

Old 12-14-2011, 10:05 AM

Mine does it to, but I just got it recently so I have no clue if it's normal.

Old 12-14-2011, 10:44 AM

usually means your electrical needs a little work... eventually your regulator plug will start to melt if it hasn't already.

I usuall clean up the electrical connections. If your regulator plug is melted then I just solder the regulator into the loom

Old 12-14-2011, 11:14 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've noticed this with mine at idle with both high and low beams on. The difference in brightness isn't a lot, but it is noticeable. Sounds like I should take a look at the wiring this weekend.

Old 12-14-2011, 11:14 AM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

it is normal for the lights to get brighter with rpm due to the increase in voltage by the charging system. at idle, however, the bike is running only on the battery. how dim is it? if it seems very dim, it could be a battery issue. you can check this by taking a standing or idling voltage reading (this would be good time to take a charging reading also). take a voltage reading at the light socket itself too. if your readings are low, have the battery tested. if there is a significant difference between the battery and socket, look for bad wire or connector. if it tests all good, try replacing the bulb to see if that helps. dont forget to check resistance across the bulb adapter too. other than that, it must be normal.

Old 12-14-2011, 02:04 PM

oh wow, I thought I was the only that experienced this. I guess it's a pretty common thing and some members are even saying its normal. I was concerned about my headlights because I have 2003 R6 projectors in the F4i housing. Everything works great except for the dimming when I rev the engine. I also have Tacho/Odo problems. My tacho wont pick up any reading and will remain a 0. But I think this is a totally different problem. Maybe ECU or Ignition Pulse Sensor?

Old 12-14-2011, 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by 74demon
it is normal for the lights to get brighter with rpm due to the increase in voltage by the charging system. at idle, however, the bike is running only on the battery. how dim is it? if it seems very dim, it could be a battery issue. you can check this by taking a standing or idling voltage reading (this would be good time to take a charging reading also). take a voltage reading at the light socket itself too. if your readings are low, have the battery tested. if there is a significant difference between the battery and socket, look for bad wire or connector. if it tests all good, try replacing the bulb to see if that helps. dont forget to check resistance across the bulb adapter too. other than that, it must be normal.
thanks, i will check all those things this weekend....

Old 12-14-2011, 07:53 PM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

under 2500 rpm - ish roughly most bikes will not be generating enough juice to positively charge/maintain
the battery - so your lights dim as it draws on mostly just battery power

It does not necessarily mean your battery , RR or anything else is on the way out

Quick Reply: headlights dim