F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Headlight Unit Bosses Grommet / Assembly Help

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2020, 10:58 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Headlight Unit Bosses Grommet / Assembly Help

I've been having a lot of trouble with the headlight unit and upper cowl fairing on my F4i. It does not want to stay on and the whole upper cowl has essentially snapped in half. It seems like the bosses / grommet portion of the headlight assembly is cracking and falling apart and does not do its job at holding the headlight assembly up anymore.

I'm also not sure how this assembly all fits together and what gives it strength and rigidity anymore. The first time I took it apart, this area was already pulled apart from the grommets in the upper stay and I was already unsure of how it all went together. Has anyone else had problems with this? Does anyone have pictures of what this area is supposed to look like? What parts of the frame actually hold up the front headlight assembly? From reading the manual and looking at diagrams, it seems like its just the two grommets in the upper stay (pictures attached) and the fairings as a whole pulling the assembly into the grommets. Are there other attachment points? Trying to figure out how to repair this reasonably. Also, cannot figure out what those broken cone looking things are and how they should fit into the grommets and hold the assembly up.

Cracked upper cowl - completely detached now because of headlight unit falling off of grommets.

Damaged bracket where the grommet attaches.

Diagram of the headlight unit. How does this attach to the frame of the bike?

Headlight unit aligned with the upper stay.

Bosses and grommets where the problem seems to be.

Old 04-23-2020, 04:17 PM
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Hi, Not sure exactly what you are asking, so I'l try my best.
From what I remember: The headlight assembly is bolted onto the head cowling. The head cowling is attached to the bike mainly by the 4 mirror bolts and the side fairing bolts (3 on each side) The rubber grommet/spikes and the air ducts must also align. The two rubber grommet / spikes you circled, they should just "pop" into the rubber grommets.
Not sure about part # but it looks plastic and you should be able to ABS cement it easily. I've done this with the side fairing extrusions that snapped off.
Because the mirror mounts supports most of the head cowling's weight, you have to have the head cowling in one piece OR modify it creatively for it to stay on the bike without the upper part.
You could try zip tying the head cowling if on a budget. My r side corner of the head cowling broke in a crash, I was able to drifter stitch it together and it's held up for 2 years now.

Old 04-24-2020, 09:52 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for all the information SunBlue! That was exactly what I was looking for. I didn't realize the upper cowl being attached to the mirror mounts was what was holding up a lot of the weight of the headlight assembly. When I bought the bike, there was already a bit of a crack in that area and somehow it just continued to spread until the piece cracked in half. I'll need to get that back in one piece and see if the whole assembly holds up.

The following users liked this post:
SunBlue (04-24-2020)