F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Headlight reflector?

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2007, 03:18 PM
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headlight reflector?

Ok, so we all know that the only difference between the low beam and the high beam is the reflector. Can I put a low beam reflector on the high beam side? I have my headlights wired to operate at the same time (powered by the high beam switch), and my high beam pointed down to try and prevent blinding on coming traffic. But it is still obviously brighter due to the reflector being different.

So has anyone changed just the reflector, or do I need to install some projectors?

Old 12-23-2007, 04:46 PM
Default RE: Headlight reflector?

I just run the high beams all the time. Didnt change the way it aims. I like to make sure people see me at night.

Old 12-23-2007, 04:59 PM
Registered Users

ORIGINAL: chpsk8er630

I just run the high beams all the time. Didnt change the way it aims. I like to make sure people see me at night.
I'm all for being seen when riding but I hate when I'm driving at night and a bike comes by with their brights on and blinds the hell out of me. In my opinion, it's much more dangerous. If I remember correctly, in driving classes they say not to flash brights at night because if the person has been drinking, their pupils don't return to normal as quickly and are blinded longer and if that's the case, they could wander into your lane and take you out. I ride with my brights on during the day but not at night.

Old 12-23-2007, 06:02 PM

If you want them both on at the same time why not just turn your high on? I like having my high beam at night on back roads that aren't lighted so I dont know how well two low beams would do.

Old 12-23-2007, 06:07 PM
Banned

They are on all the time. My point is not the visibility, but the fact that the high beam side is still bright to look at due to the reflector being different.

I have hid's in and want both on at the same time. My question is if anyone know's if the reflector from the low beam side can be put on the high beam side.

Simple question, didnt think this would de-rail that far.

Thanks

Old 12-23-2007, 06:35 PM

I have my headlights out getting ready to install some halos but I haven't heated it to remove the cover yet. Looking in from the back it looks like they are just screwed in but it would take a little fabricating to put one on the other side because the brackets are slightly different I would guess it was so you couldn't mix them up.

Old 12-23-2007, 06:43 PM
Banned

Little word of advice with those halo's. Make sure there is no pressure on them after you silicone them down. Because when you put them back in the oven, it will break. I learned the hard way.

After you get it apart, can you look and see if the reflector from the low beam side can just be inverted? Turned up side down? I think this is all that would need to be done. I would much appreciate your help.

Old 12-23-2007, 07:13 PM

I can tell you by looking that it can't simply be inverted for a couple of reasons. One is the reflector itself has three flat sides and one curved at the bottom. Also the screw holes wouldn't match. But when I do open it up (probably by xmas) I'll look at what it would take to do it and get some pics of it for you. And thaks for the heads up on the halos.

Old 12-23-2007, 07:30 PM
Banned

Yup. I was being lazy. Just walked out into the garage to look at it closer and saw the same thing. Oh well.

Definetly post some pics of the halo's when you get them done. Which ones did you get. I put in the ones that are supposed to match the 10k color. They are bright as hell at night. I love them. I have done them to both of my bimmer's and to my f4i.

Old 12-23-2007, 07:46 PM

I haven't ordered any yet. I bought led underlighting kit from a friend last year and never installed them yet. I have a set of led halos but have seen the ccfl ones being sold and thought they would show up alot better. I was going to go with blue ones from the xtreme discount cycle ebay store unless anyone has a better source or better halos I don't know about.

Quick Reply: Headlight reflector?