F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Headlight problem- please help!

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2007, 05:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headlight problem- please help!

Hey everyone, I know this is the F4i forum (I have a 99 F4) but there are more of you viewing here and thought I’d get more opinions.

Here’s the deal- I was driving the other night and my headlight just went out, both high and low beam. I finally got back home and tried to check it out. Fuses are okay and the bulb is okay as well. I tried a new bulb still just to confirm that. Everything else still works normally. Next night, I removed the upper fairing to get to more of the wiring. Everything seems to be plugged in securely. Can’t figure it out from here. There isn’t a relay somewhere that I’m overlooking for the headlight is there? Also, could the headlight wiring harness have gone bad somehow? Thing is, the front blinkers are part of that harness and they still work normally. Any ideas on what to suspect?

Thanks!

Old 10-24-2007, 05:37 PM
Default RE: Headlight problem- please help!

Hey. I had the same thing happen to my F3. I have no clue what caused it. I just know i was riding then my light was out. Luckily my friend is a electrician and he helped me rewire the light so that it would work.If you have the tools and understand wiring diagrams Drop me a PM and I'll see if i can give you somehelp with fixing it or atleast point you in a direction.

Old 10-24-2007, 05:45 PM

check the wiring harness for corrosion and spray it with electrical lubricant. that'd be my first guess.

happens all the time

Old 10-24-2007, 05:52 PM

Bad connection or bad switch.Best bet is to get a test light or volt meter and start tracing the wiring.

To prevent corrosion build up.I pulled my whole bike apart right after bringing it home and filled all the connectors up with dielectric grease.

Old 10-24-2007, 07:02 PM

ORIGINAL: FLYOU

check the wiring harness for corrosion and spray it with electrical lubricant. that'd be my first guess.

happens all the time

I 2nd this motion.

Old 10-24-2007, 07:41 PM

Yeah cool, I guess that'd be the easiest thing to try first, cleaning the connectors. By the way, is electrical lubricant the same as contact cleaner?

I posted this in the F4 area as well and got this reply-
"I had the EXACT same problem 3 weeks ago. Take apart the right hand side hand grip (the one with the start button). Once apart, you will see a circuit board with four soldered connections. I can almost gurantee that one is disconnected. Just reconnect it back up and it will work. Good luck. Let me know if it works out for you."

I can try and look in there too if a good cleaning doesn't work. Just don't know what's under there that has to do with the headlight...

Old 10-24-2007, 08:37 PM

yeah i think so. you can get it at auto zone.

you can see which one of mine crapped out:

it was a nasty brown color where the rest of the prongs were silver.

just scrape it off and lube it up.

try it out and report back.

Old 10-25-2007, 01:00 PM

Hey guys, thanks for the replies. Well, I inspected the connectors and things for corrosion but didn't see anything that looked bad. Sprayed them anyway with cleaner but it didn't seem to do the trick. Guess the next step is to get a volt meter or something and try and trace it to the point where its not getting juice? This is a frustrating one because I'm really not familiar with electrical work.

Old 10-25-2007, 01:34 PM

does your bike start up?

i had the same problem and it turned out to be a brunted out connector in the turning signal. also, it can easily be a bad/broken connection inside the handle grip.
still, it seems that you might need to get a voltmeter.

Old 10-25-2007, 04:20 PM
I ♥ CBRF

Do what Flyou and white99 said.
Hit Autozone and get some electrical grease (smallpkg at counter is like $1) not a spray. Put some of that on both the female and male connector and that may fix the prob. Mine were flickering on and offbad but the connections looked fine. Put some of that grease on it and no problems since.

Quick Reply: Headlight problem- please help!