F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

headlight modulator

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2008, 01:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default headlight modulator

I just bought my first bike ('02 F4I Yellow and Black). What are the general thoughts about headlight modulators? From what I've read they are legal as long as they have a sensor that turns it off at night. Anyone have any suggestions of which to buy or easiest to install?

Old 09-26-2008, 12:18 AM
July 2008 ROTM
Default RE: headlight modulator

They're pointless on your F4i, because they utilize a bulb with two filaments. You'd have to swap in a different bulb just to use them, and then both your headlights would be flashing.

I'd just ride with your high beam on during the day, like most people.

Old 09-26-2008, 10:30 AM

I'm not sure that's true... most headlight modulators just use the high beam, so on the F4i, the high beam only would be pulsing. Both lights would be on, just one would be solid, one would be pulsing.

Old 09-26-2008, 10:56 AM
July 2008 ROTM

Yes, it would work that way. But how ridiculous would it look to have your high beam flashing constantly? I'd get annoyed by that regardless of what I was driving in.

Old 09-26-2008, 11:47 AM

Isn't that how all headlight modulators work? Don't all of them modulate just the high beams? I guess I'm confused when you say they are pointless. If you don't like the pulsing part of it, I understand that and that's why you don't use one. It might look ridiculous to some, but to others its an attention getter and that's what they want. I don't have one, so I'm not defending them because of that, I just wanted to present the other side

Old 09-26-2008, 05:06 PM

I believe they only are allowed to be on durring the day, so I doubt you would see that it was pulsing. Just thought it might grab attention better than just having the high beam on, but it doesnt sound like to many people put them on their bikes.

Old 09-26-2008, 06:01 PM

I have on my SV.

It has a 3 way switch, one for low beam, one for high, and off.

It pulses the light on and off. It would work on the F4i the same way.

It also has a photo cell so it doesn't work at night or in a tunnel or parking garage.

Old 09-27-2008, 01:30 AM
July 2008 ROTM

ORIGINAL: MidnightG35X

Isn't that how all headlight modulators work? Don't all of them modulate just the high beams? I guess I'm confused when you say they are pointless. If you don't like the pulsing part of it, I understand that and that's why you don't use one. It might look ridiculous to some, but to others its an attention getter and that's what they want. I don't have one, so I'm not defending them because of that, I just wanted to present the other side
Of course that's how they work. But it's normally in a single headlight that has the low beam on consistently. I think it would look retarded to have the F4i's high beam constantly turning on and off like a strobe light. That's my point

Personally I think anything that blinks rapidly like that should be left for emergency vehicles.

Old 09-28-2008, 12:03 PM

I really don’t mind if people think it looks retarded or irritating because that’s what I would be going for, to be noticed! Plus it sounds like something that you could turn off when you didn’t want it on. So that being said, does anyone have a suggestion on brand, or best place to get one? Plus, how hard are they to install?

Old 09-30-2008, 12:10 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Aken
I'd just ride with your high beam on during the day, like most people.
Constant highbeams have been identified as the common culprit in burned harnesses. It shortens the lifespan due to the current load.

Quick Reply: headlight modulator