F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

headlight advice

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2011, 07:05 AM
Welcome Crew and May 2012 Ride of the Month
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by steve0o09
well ignore the ridonkulousness of this video, but these headlights.
Fusion on 24's - YouTube

i just want to know how much different stock bulbs are compared to purple? i dont really know what the temp really does.

has anybody ever actually used these IN PERSON, or is this just talkin out the a$$?
Its not that everyone is talking out of their a$$, Its physics.
The higher up the light spectrum the closer you get to Ultraviolet, and the lower you get the closer you get to Infrared.

The purple HID is closer to a blacklight in the spectrum then it is to a Halogen. So if you have ever used a blacklight you know what I'm talking about it will light up reflective signs from a mile away but you want be able to actually see very far with them.

If you mostly drive in town and do bike nights then they will probably suit you, If you do back country driving and twisties sometimes at night, I would recommend a different light.

Old 11-23-2011, 12:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

they will look better than stock bulbs. it will widen the areas that are lit up while riding. but what people are saying is if you want more light out put go with a different temp. its your bike bro. do what you want.

Old 11-23-2011, 01:36 PM

If you just want color for the looks, why not add some purple led rings around the light instead? That way you don't sacrifice your safety for a cosmetic enhancement. The LEDs would also be some interesting signal indicators.

Old 11-23-2011, 05:36 PM
July 2008 ROTM

Anything above 12,000K will offer significantly less light output than a standard halogen. The higher the color, the more blue, purple, pink you'll get (in that order), and the less light it will actually throw. These lights are for "WTF" purposes only - that's the only thing they're good for. And even that is not necessarily good on a motorcycle, as people staring at you inevitably means people veering towards you (look where you want to go doesn't just apply to motorcycles).

Cliffs Notes: Don't do it.

Old 11-23-2011, 09:22 PM

for the most part i only ride during the day, or at night on well let streets. i mainly want it for looks, but i also want it to be applicable cause i use this as my daily during the summer when weather permits.

so now im leaning towards doing a pure white light, purple halos, and orange led's for the angle eyes. heres pics of my bike, what does everyone think?

https://cbrforum.com/forum/sights-n-...in-off-131868/

Old 11-24-2011, 02:40 AM
July 2008 ROTM

Halo and angel eyes are the same thing...?

Also keep in mind they don't make a purple LED (there's ultraviolet, but that doesn't really give any light), and purple cathodes are a very light pastel purple.

Old 11-24-2011, 03:56 AM
Retired Super Moderator, Tin Star Man & Hurricane Saloon Prospect, ROTM Feb 2015
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry I have to budge my nose into every single topic, but I have been growing chili plantsand driving a truck for a few years now and have been playing with different color lighting quite a bit on extra high beams and for the plants, and can definetely say this:

2700k and warmer bulbs get u very gentle light if u have to drive for long perioids in the dark. It's more friendly for your eyes, but lacks some in output. We call them pee-yellow for a good reason.

Near daylight (5000-6400k) u get the most efficient light. Still pretty good for the eyes, and starts to stand out.

The colder and more flat white the color gets, the more intense the beam gets. It's harsh for your eyes in the long term, but what's more important for me that has a poor dark-sight: you lose all color. It's really hard to make out those bumps and small animals even though they look pretty cool and for short perioids are very efficient.

The closer you get to UV the less visible light you get. Those purpleish blue "xenon-look" lights are rubbish. U can't see for crap and neither does the oncomer as they are totally blinded by your lights and might mistake them for high beams, which results in light flashing and thus to blinding you too...

If you're going for LEDs, choose wisely what you want/need. LEDs have very narrow spectrum and therefore too white light does not emit enough useful spectrum for u to see ahead. If you drive mostly at lit areas it's your call, but as a professional driver I have to beg for the local drivers there that u take into consideration the blinding factor too...

Old 11-25-2011, 04:09 AM

halo eyes i'm talking about the circle that goes around the bulb, angle eyes i thought were the audi style "eye lids"?

Old 11-27-2011, 12:24 AM
July 2008 ROTM

Originally Posted by steve0o09
halo eyes i'm talking about the circle that goes around the bulb, angle eyes i thought were the audi style "eye lids"?
Halos and angel eyes are the same thing (the circles). Audi-style lights are called just that, Audi-style lights.

Old 11-28-2011, 03:18 PM

i recently bought my f4i with "purple" hids.
They look super bada$$, no joke. but in all honesty it was the scariest time for me riding back home from a buddies with a couple street lamps and I seriously couldnt see. i could literally see 2ft in front of me. that wknd i bought 6k hids.
i have 12k hid kit if u want it....