F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Heading south! 750 mile trip this weekend any pointers?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2010, 02:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 573v3
Not to hijack the thread but I'm doing a ~300 mile trip this weekend, definitely the longest I've done. I have to bring a suit and I'm certain it will get wrinkled if I wear it/stuff it in a bag so I may just take the Civic unless anyone has ideas to keep the suit relatively nice. Good advice with the earplugs/gold bond/comfortable stuff though.
You could try to roll the suit, creates fewer creases

Old 04-15-2010, 03:19 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm doing a long trip to the dragon this summer, and decided I have to invest in saddle bags. There'd be no way I'd be able to carry everything.

As for the comfort factor. It's a sport bike :/ I've had some long riding days, but nothing over 400 miles. I'd just be prepared for lots of aches and pains. Bananas will keep you full, and help reduce soreness. And Gatorade for the dehydration you will inevitably experience.

Old 04-15-2010, 03:53 PM

I can see the future post already.......

Officer: Is that a banana in your pocket son, or are you just happy to see me?
You: What's it to ya? am i committing a crime if it is?
Officer: Are you trying to get smart with me boy? I'm gonna take down your information and put out an alert about a crotch rocket with bananas in his pants.
You: It's not a banana
Officer: Have a nice day.

Old 04-15-2010, 06:16 PM

You could try strapping that backpack to the back seat with a bungee net.

Old 04-15-2010, 07:03 PM
Senior Member & 2010 ROTY
Talking

Put your clothes and stuff in Walmart bags and duck tape them up then put them in your backpack. That is bungeed to the back seat.

Old 04-15-2010, 07:09 PM
Nex

I've never ridden that far, but the day/night before I go on a longer ride (200mi is my longest so far) I've found that doing a little stretching helps to get the jump on those aches and pains. Spend some time working on your back, and your wrists (mine always get numb even on my bicycle), and at least you'll feel a little better at the end of the day.

Old 04-15-2010, 10:10 PM

Originally Posted by Sick97SS
Earplugs, Cruise control, Cell phone (obviously), Tire plug kit and some comfortable underwear. You don't want a wedgie for 750 miles.

I don't know how much your carrying on your back but a tail pack makes things 1000 times more comfortable if there's much weight to it.
Trying to pack as light as possible, I've had a pack on for most of my life either in the military or on the Appalachian Trail. I'm packing as light as I can go, since I Don't have to carry things like water filtration, food, tent, sleeping bag, I'm figuring it should be ok.

I'll take the advice on the earplugs, and I'm wearing my motocross underwear with the padded behind

I'm also going to come up with a ditch plan if the pack weighs me down, I know some people along the way.

Old 04-15-2010, 10:11 PM

Originally Posted by Zero1080
I'm doing a long trip to the dragon this summer, and decided I have to invest in saddle bags. There'd be no way I'd be able to carry everything.

As for the comfort factor. It's a sport bike :/ I've had some long riding days, but nothing over 400 miles. I'd just be prepared for lots of aches and pains. Bananas will keep you full, and help reduce soreness. And Gatorade for the dehydration you will inevitably experience.
Good suggestion about the banana's I never thought of that. Oh and I do have a camelbak.

Old 04-16-2010, 07:43 AM

^Welcome. I workout constantly, and it's really the only way I keep from getting sore.

Cramp Buster too if you haven't left yet!

Old 04-16-2010, 11:20 AM

I've done a couple of 140mi. one way trips. Whatever the law may be I usually ride with my ipod in, the type of headphones i have (www.etymoticresearch.com) also double as ear plugs. I used to wear a backpack but a couple times I had it really packed full and it started to kill my back. I always strap it to the rear seat with a bungee net and then a big strap around the whole rear of the bike as an extra precaution. Only thing that gets me is *** pains from the damn near painted on seat!

Quick Reply: Heading south! 750 mile trip this weekend any pointers?