F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Header exhaust power comander??

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2009, 09:12 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Header exhaust power comander??

Hey guys,
So im looking at modding up the bike... I wanta nicer deeper sound then stock.. i was lookin at jardines and Two Brothers and all that good junk...I also want to throw a lil extra power onto the bike... Are headers exhaust and power Com. really worth getting? and what does the Power Com actually do? And is it worth getting headers at all? Whats your guys input?

Old 01-24-2009, 08:44 PM
Default RE: Header exhaust power comander??

Fine tuning the fuel and air mixture for the bike which will make it run like it should through all rmp ranges. Sorry I don't know more then this I'm still learning about the power commanders myself. I do know to get the most benefit from a power commander you should take it to an dynojet authorized retailer who can put your bike on a dyno and with your bikes setup they will make a custom map for it. I did mine three weeks ago to the tune of $200.00 and three hours just for the dyno custom map. So this would be an extra cost on top of buying the powercommander, that is unless on the Dyno Jetalready has a map that you can download for your setup and then you wouldn't have to get a custom map. But once again I'm not an authority on this subject and I know there is some other people here with more on this subject then me.

Old 01-24-2009, 09:12 PM

I went with an Akrapovic full exhaust with carbon fiber canister, a bmc air filter, and power commander 3 with the downloaded map (for a akra full exhaust and aftermarket filter) and did a custom velocity stack mod and the difference was night and day. The sound of the exhaust at the first fire up after these mods made me melt. It was pure heaven, way deeper than stock and meaner. I took it for a test drive and what a difference, pulls better from all gears, I can't say enough about the difference it made. I had it dynoe'd at Corse Motorsports in Wisconsin at 99.16hp after the mods without being tuned. I thought that was pretty good for bolt ons with a downloaded map. I hope to hit 110hp with some more mods and a proper tune. Hope this helps you decide.

Old 01-24-2009, 09:19 PM

oh and to the guy that says that headers are for racers, you are dead wrong. It has been proven time and time again that a slip-on (can) and a pc3 is only worth 3-5 horsepower, where as a full exhaust (header and exhaust can plus air filter and pc3) is worth 8-10 horsepower. It is possible to get less or more from a proper tune. The key is really a proper tune. Not trying to argue but I got almost 5 horse from just bolting stuff on running my bike on a dyno. Once I have all my mods on place I plan to have the bike tuned to hit 110hp. For an F4i that would be great, with a regear I would be keeping up with the best of them.

Old 01-24-2009, 09:51 PM

In no way did I prove your point, No I am not a "racer". I am a typical sportbike owner. I love to modify my bike to the max. I enjoy finding ways to drop grams, ounces, and pounds from my power to weight ratio. I am a horsepower junkie, I stay awake at night thinking of ways to make parts lighter on my cycle. To quote you " you dont need to get headers. just get a can and a power commander so it runs right." Well I hate to tell you but saying that alone means that they will end up with 3-5 horsepower. If you do a slip-on and a pc3 and have it tuned you will get hp. Does that make them a racer because they wanted a better sound from there exhaust? I think not. And if you look at the original post it said "I also want to throw a lil extra power onto the bike" So, I think that my post is completely relevant. Thanks for your post though.

Old 01-24-2009, 10:16 PM

The bottom line is to get what you want but to know what your getting. All of the mods your wanting to maybe do are going to be real expensive and if you don't reach search it some of the mods will have hidden have toes with them. Those hidden have toes make the expense go up. You can get the sound you want with out getting a header but if you want a header then get it. Some exhaust slip-ons and fulls will require a PC III and mine for example, I was told did not require the PC III but the bike had it when I bought it and I had mine tuned due to no download-able map and it runs so much better then before. I have been told that some exhaust can harm your engine with out a PC III. I'm really not sure how true as I'm a old school carb guy myself.

By the way jbuttke1179 and rider79 I really don't think you guys are helping him any with the back and forth. His question was not please argue about headers.

Old 01-24-2009, 10:38 PM

Rock you are absolutely right, if you want hp you should be ready to spend cash. I am only saying that I did a full exhaust,air filter,velocity stack mod, and pc3 and the hp I got from it. Do I personally think that the full exhaust (header, mid pipe, and can) are worth it? hell yeah. I love what it did to my bike. Other people may have other combinations but I have what I have and it worked for me.

Old 01-24-2009, 11:02 PM

ORIGINAL: rider79

you dont need to get headers. just get a can and a power commander so it runs right.

headers are for racers.

dont be jealous because you dont have the money to spend. a bike sounds totally different with a set of aftermarket headers, not to mention the hp gain witha tune. and as for it running right, you can acomplish that with the PCIII my friend

Old 01-25-2009, 08:08 AM

Some of these posts are to funny.110 from a f4i- not unless you plan on internal mods..By then it would have been cheaper to go buy a newer rr then mod it.The power difference of a few horsepower you wil never notice on the street.Ive seen 110 hp bikes get their *** handed to them by little 250's in the mountains..Power is no good if you dont know how to ride.

You DONT have to have a power commander with a exhaust or air filter.BUT the bike does run better with one installed.The throttle reponse on DL maps are ok and a lot better than stock.
To truly get everything out of the bike a custom tune is a must.

Below is my dyno map base run is a (custom tune dl from a friends bike to mine then i finally had mine remapped).I picked up over a custom map done on a f4i almost exactly like mine.Every bike reacts different so dont thinka DL map is the best out there..My bike ran 100% better after being custom tuned,esp in the part throttle ranges.

As far as a header worth the money.Hard to say i just had a slip on.The f4i has more power stock than most can use effectively on the street anyhow.I only moddied mine for better sound (slip on) and the air filter so i dont spend as much in the long run(plus i like the cleanability). Power commander to make everything mesh nicely and mostly for the butter smooth throttle response it gives the f4i.
Name:  img005.jpg
Views: 242
Size:  92.5 KB

Old 01-25-2009, 02:42 PM

ORIGINAL: LiMe_GrEeN_MaChInE

you dont need to get headers. just get a can and a power commander so it runs right.

headers are for racers.

dont be jealous because you dont have the money to spend. a bike sounds totally different with a set of aftermarket headers, not to mention the hp gain witha tune. and as for it running right, you can acomplish that with the PCIII my friend
This makes me laugh too. Did you even read my post or were you too concerned with trying to be funny about me being jealous??

As white99gt stated, YOU WONT NOTICE THE HP DIFFERENCE WITH OR WITHOUT THE HEADERS RIDING ON THE STREET!

btw, just so you know that I am NOT jealous......I have different headers on my racebike and I have the OEM headers on my streetbike. Just change the exhaust and mid-pipe and you will be good enough.

honestly it was not meant to be serious, but i do beg to differ on the notice of the hp gain. i could tell a difference when i put my Tri Oval system on.

Quick Reply: Header exhaust power comander??