F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Having a nightmare (please help)

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2021, 03:00 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Having a nightmare (please help)

Hi guys! I’m trying to remove fairings on the f4i and there are some screws seem to be spinning with their grommets? Very frustrating!! Can anyone help or know of anything I can do to remove these screws??

This is one of the little buggers!

Old 05-03-2021, 04:11 PM
Welcome crew
Received 356 Likes on 332 Posts

Hi Patsf1,
Welcome to the forum.
please take a moment to introduce yourself to the forum.
How long have you been riding, is this your first bike etc.
A few more pictures will help as I'm struggling to figure out which bolts you are talking about.
I do think it is possibly a spinning well nut that the captive nut and or the complete well nut is spinning.
If you can get some needle nose pliers on the end you can hold the nut and undo the bolt.
Alternatively you can try to press on the fairing to see if it will grip the rubber sufficiently to release the bolt.
Cheers
Al

Old 05-04-2021, 05:03 AM

Originally Posted by Al1040
Hi Patsf1,
Welcome to the forum.
please take a moment to introduce yourself to the forum.
How long have you been riding, is this your first bike etc.
A few more pictures will help as I'm struggling to figure out which bolts you are talking about.
I do think it is possibly a spinning well nut that the captive nut and or the complete well nut is spinning.
If you can get some needle nose pliers on the end you can hold the nut and undo the bolt.
Alternatively you can try to press on the fairing to see if it will grip the rubber sufficiently to release the bolt.
Cheers
Al

Thank you for your reply, I’ve just introduced myself on the new members section, apologies.
The bolt is on the side near the front of the bike. Close to the air intake. The photo is in between the front shock and air intake.
I tried the needle nose pliers but just really awkward to get a grip on. Might have a go with the grips and let use know.
many other ideas much appreciated.

Old 05-04-2021, 12:27 PM

Got it off by wedging a screwdriver at the back of the fairing and luckily the screw came out. Thanks for help.

The following users liked this post:
Doc Samson (05-04-2021)
Old 05-04-2021, 03:00 PM
Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts

Im not sure what I'm looking at, but if you are talking about the plastic screws then use a pick or screwdriving to pin the outside plastic part while turning the screw. If you are talking the well nut rubber things, reach back and hold it while turning screw.

Old 05-04-2021, 03:39 PM
Welcome crew
Received 213 Likes on 192 Posts

I frequently have the same issue, i.e. nuts turning, and have found a pair of curved needle nosed pliers come in very handy!

Also, I've come to utterly loathe well nuts! Seems the nut almost always pulls forward without really compressing the rubber sleeve very well. Had to replace the ones on the gas tank and had to use the curved pliers to hold them in place until the bolt tightened up a bit...