F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Have some questions on a 2005 F4i..maybe buying

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2007, 07:34 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Have some questions on a 2005 F4i..maybe buying

Hey all!

Glad to see such a active forum for the CBR's!

I may be purchasing a 2005 CBR F4i.....took it for a test ride yesterday and have some questions that hopefully someone can answer or maybe shed a little light on.

First a little about the bike....2005 CBRF4i...Silver with 2500 miles on it...seems to be about a 9 out of 10 in cosmetics...some light scuffs up near the seat which looks like they may have come from boots or something...also tiny hole in seat right where it meets the plastics...not major but I noticed it. Comes with a dark smoke screen that he said is a factory upgrade. Other than that the bike is completely stock. He wants 5000 for it... Also incudes factory warranty until 2009 or 2010...can't remember...and a cover

Like I said I took it for a ride yesterday and noticed a few things...1 is that the power is very smooth and managable. I currently have a Ninja 250 that I have been riding for about a year (oh I'm 42 btw) At no time did I ever feel out of control or that the bike was getting away from me. I was quite pleased by that as I did get on the throttle a couple of times
Bike handled great and the braking was unbelievable compared to my Ninja!

Ok here are my 2 concerns....the grips felt...well "buzzy" while I was riding it...not horrible but you could feel the buzz while rding it around like a tingle. Is this normal for these bikes? I have ridden a 97 Ninja 600R and don't remember that feeling but it has been a few months since I have ridden it. I always hear how super smooth the Hondas are so not sure if the grips should be "silent" while cruising

The second concern was some of the shifting....when I really got on the gas and was going through the gears, it seemed like it had a problem going from 3rd to 4th....I'd upshift and thought I was in 4th but whn I released the clutch the engine noise told me different...since I was in a neighborhood I couldn't really go too too fast to really test it. This really only happened when I was getting on it....when i rode slower through the streets heading back to his place I was able to go through all the gears with no issues. Any ideas? Is it a speed related thing? I figured I ask everyday F4i owners to find out if there are known issues or if they have had similar problems while shifting (sometimes hard to shift etc)

With all that said wondering if I should pursue this bike? Seems like a great deal except I have these 2 concerns...hopefully someone here can chime in with some advice on the concerns I have

I really did enjoy riding the bike...plan on commuting in the warm weather (100 miles per day)...how is the wind protection on these bikes...I got up to about 60 and seemed fine...could not really go faster as I was in a neighborhood

Thanks and hope to be a new owner soon [8D]

Goose

Old 10-11-2007, 11:06 AM
Default RE: Have some questions on a 2005 F4i..maybe buying

I picked up mine last month, and also have the "buzzy" grips.

Old 10-11-2007, 11:22 AM

Ok well that is good to know that is not just me..got a couple of replies on SBN saying pretty much the same thing

The owner has proposed this to me that he is so confident of the bikes condition that he has offered to put a clause in our agreement. The agreement will state that I have X number of days to bring the bike to the dealer and have them go over it top to bottom(which I would do anyways) and if they find any problems with the tranny or shifting, he will refund my money plus the cost of the inspection

That really puts my mind at ease and makes this deal almost a no brainer....throw in the extended warranty, cover and a set of new gloves makes it all the much better

Does it sound good to you guys?

2005 F4i Silver
2500 miles
Money back clause if problems found during inspection
Warranty until 2010
Cover
New Gloves

5 Grand

Goose

Old 10-11-2007, 11:38 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it's ok...it is an F4i and there's 3 RR's after it...so technically, the technology is 3 generations ago.
as for buzzy grips, make sure the bar weights are still there.

3/4 shifting, sounds like you didn't shift it with authority, sloppy shifts will get you stuck in a false neutral sometimes. go reverse shift (gp style) and never have a mis-shift again...unless the tranny is jacked.

i think i'd go with 4500...if he says no, then look for an older one with cheaper price and just a bit more miles. F4i's are starting to go very cheap now because of the 3 generations of RRs after it.

Old 10-11-2007, 11:41 AM

The "buzz" feeling is normal. You can get some heavy bar ends, that will help. For the gears It's probly getting use to the bike. Mine is very smooth. good price.

Old 10-11-2007, 12:52 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Tahoe SC

it's ok...it is an F4i and there's 3 RR's after it...so technically, the technology is 3 generations ago.
as for buzzy grips, make sure the bar weights are still there.

3/4 shifting, sounds like you didn't shift it with authority, sloppy shifts will get you stuck in a false neutral sometimes. go reverse shift (gp style) and never have a mis-shift again...unless the tranny is jacked.

i think i'd go with 4500...if he says no, then look for an older one with cheaper price and just a bit more miles. F4i's are starting to go very cheap now because of the 3 generations of RRs after it.
What he said
oh

Buy it

Old 10-11-2007, 03:31 PM

How do you get such a long warranty? In Canada they only came with 1 year.
I have an '05 with 12,000 km and no "buzz" that I've ever noticed.

Old 10-11-2007, 03:48 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you can get extended warranty. they do offer it when you first pick up the bike, but it's not through honda, it's through third party...so you gotta read the fine print...third party may require you get serviced at same dealership or honda dealership, as stated by knightslugger i think.

oh...and good luck with third party warranty...they don't call it WAR ANTY for nothing...muahahhahha...
t

Old 10-11-2007, 04:07 PM

It's a Honda so you won't be using it anyway.

Old 10-11-2007, 04:18 PM

3rd party or not it is still better than nothing and chances are it will still be serviced at the same dealer he bought it from...it is where he had all his stuff done and is also the closest Honda dealer to me so I'm fine with that

Butt psyched now...I can't get that grin off my face I had riding it yesterday. tuesady is the day I'll pick it up...wish it was sooner but CRAP weather and other commitments push it out to Tuesday

Well glad to find such an active board! I'll be on a lot I can tell

Thanks guys!

Goose

Quick Reply: Have some questions on a 2005 F4i..maybe buying