F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Has anyone used the 3m carbon fiber wrap??

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2012, 05:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Has anyone used the 3m carbon fiber wrap??

I stubled upon this stuff while surfing around for some carbon fiber pieces. Has anyone out there every used it or have seen it in person? How's it look?

3M US: Graphic Solutions: 3M

Old 08-04-2012, 06:11 PM

The trunk of my car is wrapped with it, It actually looks pretty good. I've been considering wrapping a couple different pieces on my bike with it to
Name:  Untitled-3.jpg
Views: 1223
Size:  178.4 KB

Old 08-04-2012, 09:29 PM

Letme know if you end up wrapping anything on your bike! I still have a roll with a good amount of it left over so I'm defiantly interested to see how it would look on different parts of the bike. One of my buddys has a R1 that is completely wrapped in digi camo and it looks pretty damn good.

Old 08-04-2012, 10:24 PM

How plyable is it? Like can you work into corners and what not?

Old 08-05-2012, 08:45 AM

It's actually more flexible and easier to use than I thought but getting Into tight corners can be hard. Using a heat gun or hair dryer makes a lot easier to use to.

Old 08-05-2012, 12:38 PM

hey, i just stumbled across this. i think i would only do it if the fairings were beyond painting.

Old 08-05-2012, 01:05 PM

Yea Rudy that's sick. There's a 600rr in the Philly area that has the same thing. I just wanna do my mirrors and air duct covers. I'd like to get real carbon air duct but I can't find em anywhere. I can get them custom made but its 200 I think for the mold alone. So unless I can get a nice group buy together and spilt up the price of the mold. The carbon wrap is really my only option. Rather have the real stuff though.

Old 08-05-2012, 05:47 PM

ive done a few wraps, these are not real CF though they are more life vinyl that look like CF, so if you want, look online on how to vinyl wrap something, you can get different colors of it on ebay. flat black or CF are the most popular ones, 3m stuff is good, they make 3mil and 5mil stuff, the 5mil is thicker and harder to work with but will look a lot better.

with any sticker, surface prep is very important, get your self a few cans of invisible glass and some green dish cloth and give it a real good cleaning. it might be easier for you to pull your work off the bike and wrap it on a bench or something. don't use a heat gun unless you can get it at a very low temp, i find hair dryer at high setting works much better.

if your surface is smooth, you can also do a wet application, stuff such as the hood of a car or the roof or what ever will work a lot better if you spray some distilled water (you can get it from walmart) and really soak the area you are working with, this way you can work out all the bubbles without having to peel and stick stuff.

for more complicated / curved areas such as faring, mirrors and other parts, you can head up the area (after cleaning ofcourse) and once its nice and hot, start in the middle with the wrap and work your way out, the heat from the surface will melt the glue a bit and will make it sick avoiding air bubbles.

if you happen to have a really greasy or sticky area like around the chain or what ever, spray some bleach free (ABS Safe) brake cleaner and it should get rid of the gunk, then go back with windex and clean off whats left with a lint free cloth.

dont use paper towel as these normally leave lots of lint behind, cloth is your best bet. i find the polishing / detailing cloth works best.

and last thing, if you find your self in a real jam, dont panic, put the original paper back between your work and the sticker, go wash your hands and take a brake, normally if you cool your work and your mind off you can get back into it a lot smoother.

good luck

Old 08-05-2012, 05:55 PM

Cool thanks a lot hex. Doesn't seem too hard

Old 08-06-2012, 06:45 AM

hi i tried to carbon fibre wrap my mirrors on my f4
i used the heat gun to stretch the wrap it was ok for a day or so .but wen it was in the sun it started to peel it self off,needless to say i took it alll off.the carbon fibre mirrors here are only like $30 so i just ordered them .save the headache and time

Quick Reply: Has anyone used the 3m carbon fiber wrap??