F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Hardwiring Fan

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2008, 01:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hardwiring Fan

Hi guys ok so here’s my problem I just got my first bike an 03 F4i took it for the first ride the other day and found the radiator fan didn’t turn on at 104 C so I brought it back and checked the fuse sure enough it was blown, replaced it and thought everything was fine went for another test ride and same thing no fan, came back again and checked the fuse again to my surprise also blown so I have a short I want to make a temporary fix so I found this method "just unplug the sender cable then make a wire up with 1 ring crimp and 1 spade crimp, put spade crimp in the sender wire plug and then put the ring crimp on the ground for the radiator fan, which is literally just above the fan on the radiator... takes 2 minutes to do, you can get to everything, don't need to chop anything!! And the fan will come on with the ignition" my question is, is the sender cable the connectorabove the oil cooler water hose or the connector just above the lower rad hose? Im not very well versed in electrics so the simplest explanation would be the best. Thanks in advance.

Old 05-16-2008, 02:03 PM
Default RE: Hardwiring Fan

Couple of things came to mind on the hardwiring your fan.

1. Engine will take longer to warm up
2. i'd only use it as a temp fix just to save the fan motor from burning out due to constant use.

i guess before i did the fix i would try to chase the wiring to see where its shorting out ( most probably on the frame somewhere)
Just my 2c

Old 05-16-2008, 02:06 PM

ya i said it was going to be a temp fix, what should i look for when chasing a short? (like i said im an electical noob)

Old 05-16-2008, 05:38 PM

i'd start from the sender unit and chase the wire back up to the blowing fuse. your looking for cuts in the wires that might touch the frame or any metal at all. that would cause the wire to go to ground, short and in turn blow the fuse. also it may be worth check the sender itself, it maybe an internal fault to the sender itself. If is easier chase the wire from the fuse down.

It will take time but if you quick fix it you will still have to eventually troubleshoot the origional fault.

Old 05-21-2008, 09:48 PM

alright so i narrowed it down and im pretty sure its the fan motor switch connector, not sure if thats the correct term or not for the unit attached to the radiator just above the lower rad hose, anyone know the cost of one of these and an online place to pick one up?

Old 05-21-2008, 11:44 PM

you can go to www.bikebandit.com they have everything for your bike. A bit expensive, I would look up the part there, and then go get it somewhere else if you can find it.

Old 05-22-2008, 11:30 AM

if ya still wanta hard wire the fan and are worried about the long term effects of the fan bein on for extended periods of time, you could always wire an on off switch in there and turn it on and off yerself when the bike gets hotter than you think it should.

Old 05-22-2008, 01:43 PM

If the short passed enough current to blow your fuse, it's probably gonna fry your wiring (even if you only use it for a "short" time). That's why you have fuses. I wouldn't even try to connect it. You've been given a warning. Thing to do is find the short - end of story.

Old 05-25-2008, 12:07 AM

Fixed, it was a faulty thermal switch