F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

gp style shifting

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2010, 08:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default gp style shifting

Anyone reverse their shift order? Im curious to try it out.

Pros and cons please

Old 06-24-2010, 09:18 PM

Also how do you go about doing this?

Old 06-24-2010, 10:09 PM

easy, if you look at your shift rod, the little bracket it screws into (opposite end of the pedal), theres a small 10mm bolt on it. Break it loose and the bracket pulls right off. Stock is should be hanging down. Flip it up and bolt it on again, reattach shift rod and there you go. Doesnt work on all bikes I dont think but it does on the f4i. Someone let me know if Im wrong.

Old 06-24-2010, 11:21 PM

The advantage of the GP shift is faster upshifting (you only have to push down) and particularly, the ability to shift up in an extreme leaned over left hander (can't get foot under the shifter if you're really leaned). Most race bikes use it for those two main reasons.

Street bike, don't know the real benefit. I have it on my street bike only so I don't have to think about which bike I'm on.

Old 06-24-2010, 11:36 PM

I love it.

Pros: More solid shifts up and just something cool to do on your bike.
Cons: You'll have to keep your cover off so your front sprocket will be exposed. Meaning a lot pf flinging dirt/oils/lubricant.

Old 06-25-2010, 07:25 AM

I have a GP style shift as well. I like it. Takes a little bit of thinking at first when I jump on a friend's bike though hah

Old 06-25-2010, 07:33 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It takes a little time to get used to it and if you switch bikes,atvs etc often, you need to remember which one your on or it could cause you a wreck. that being said, i do it to all my sportbikes for faster/easier shifting. F4ith's cons is easily eliminated with a little dremel work to the sprocket cover.

Old 06-25-2010, 08:14 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, as stated before just flip up the shifter linkage and remove/modify your front sprocket cover. I tried it but didn't like it. Probably just didnt give myself enough time to get used to it.

Like Jonld said, if you ever encounter an emergency situation you actually use muscle memory so you really don't "think" about shifting. And if your not used to the new pattern you could find yourself in some trouble.

I just like clicking DOWN to get into first.

Stunters do it to make it easier to shift gears doing a wheelie.

Last edited by Sick97SS; 06-25-2010 at 08:24 AM.
Old 06-27-2010, 02:41 PM

+1 to the GP shift and pretty simple to set up. I switched over for the track but like it on the street bike too.

You may have to play/adjust the long rod to move the gear shifter distance up/down to find a comortable spot. I ended up moving it down a fair bit. It took me about 3 good rides to get the muscle memory locked in. Clutchless shifting took the most time.

DOWN= FAST and UP= SLOW!
DOWN= FAST and UP= SLOW!
DOWN= FAST and UP= SLOW!

Old 06-27-2010, 03:05 PM

FYI if you're going to do the conversion, I would use some loctite on the nut that connects the rod because when I first did the conversion, the nut almost slipped out on me quite a few times, which could lead to a disaster.

I'm selling my bike so I gotta convert back to normal...gonna be fun going back to regular shifting.

Quick Reply: gp style shifting