F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Got some questions

Old 05-27-2011, 03:26 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Got some questions

So I bought an f4i last month with 20,xxx miles on it and did not have any problems other than needed a new battery..after that ive had no problems with it and put almost 600 miles on it. Im at 21,xxx and was wondering if there is any major maintenance i should be aware of?

-Oil was done along with oil filter
-Brake fluid im going to do
-Ordered a K&N air filter

Also had questions about gas treatments? I never use anything other than premium when filling up but everynow and then i like to buy fuel treatment and throw that in there. Is it possible to put too much of that in there? What about things like fuel injector cleaner and maybe even octane booster????

Thanks for the help!!

Old 05-27-2011, 10:10 AM

In the manual for your bike there is a maintenance schedule. Your next maintenance is for 24,000 miles. It says to replace air cleaner, oil and filter, radiator coolant and your chain. Use those as a guidline. If your air cleaner isnt dirty dont change it yet, same goes for your chain. If it is not stretched passed the safe zone dont change it. It also has a long list of stuff to inspect. Like the throttle cable, clutch cable, tires, lights so on and so forth.
I have no clue about the gas treatments so hopefully someone who has had there bike a long time would have a good answer.

Hope that helps with the maintenance.

Old 05-27-2011, 10:38 AM

Might as well change all the fluids. You mentioned oil and brake fluid already, might as well do the coolant now since the prev owner(s) may not have touched it.

To touch on the gasoline, you can use regular octane. NOT trying to get into yet another octane debate; you can search the forum for these countless threads and dwell into more info. The F4i owner's manual (page 89) states, "designed to use any gasoline that has a pump octane number of 86 or higher." So you can still use premium if you really want. Just trying to save people $.

Old 05-27-2011, 10:43 AM

you can add too much octane booster, it may blow injectors or sparks if too much is added. fuel stabilizer like stabil is good becuase is takes care of the ethanol and make the fuel more stable for storage. Its what i run every time i fill up. maintenance is up to you, if it needs to be done do it, but if you dont need it, dont do it. just be a waste of money.

Old 05-27-2011, 01:24 PM

Yeah i forgot to mention that the rear sproket and chain are new as well so thats all taken care of. But any suggestions on how much octane booster to put in or should i just stay away from it all together?? Ohh and anything about fuel injector cleaner?

Thanks again!

Old 05-27-2011, 04:20 PM
Official CBRF Welcome Crew Undercover Agent
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile

Two maintenance items one hardly ever hears about are the dreaded valve clearance check/adjustments, and throttle body synchronizing (link). The valves are supposed to be checked at 16K and 24K miles. Now being that any mention of either of these procedures is scarce leads me to believe that they're not incredibly crucial. I myself am at 17K miles and bought a TB sync tool last year, but I'll give it another season before messing with them

For fuel additives, I really like Sea Foam. I use the 1 oz. per gallon ratio in all my vehicles. So for the F4i, it takes 5 oz. in the fuel tank. Typically I'll add it in every 2 to 5 tanks, and before putting it away for any extended time (it's a good fuel preservative). Perhaps it's in my mind, but I notice a difference when I put it in (better throttle response, better idle). Then there's Berryman B-12, but I'd stay away from that one for it seems very strong. Others brands which are popular and get good reviews are Chevron Techron (concentrated) and Gumout with Regane. Putting in a little "extra" of either of these will not hurt anything.

As for octane booster, get that out of your head. You don't want higher octane, hence it's a waste to buy premium gasoline. The oil companies market premium gasoline as "cleaner burning" and "more efficient with improved mileage"... it's all BS to get your money. All you're paying for is higher octane which is only required for high compression engines (F4i is not).

Old 05-27-2011, 10:10 PM

Thanks alot for the input incognito!!