F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

got my undertail installed :)

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2014, 04:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey man let me start out by saying that is a beautiful undertail! I love how you made the custom one with the original undertail and original light that looks so clean! I would love to do that to mine because the previous owner introduced my old fender to the hacksaw and that looks tacky. my question is, where the old plastic used to expose the light wires and lock, what did you use to close up the area and what did you use to attach the plastic?

Old 03-22-2014, 09:47 PM

Originally Posted by ColoradoF4I
Hey man let me start out by saying that is a beautiful undertail! I love how you made the custom one with the original undertail and original light that looks so clean! I would love to do that to mine because the previous owner introduced my old fender to the hacksaw and that looks tacky. my question is, where the old plastic used to expose the light wires and lock, what did you use to close up the area and what did you use to attach the plastic?
It's not the stock undertail, it's this one. HONDA F4I UNDERTAIL 2001,2002,2003 [H-F4I-S-0103] - $99.99 : WWW.PIMPBIKE.COM, YOUR #1 SOURCE FOR MOTORCYCLE UNDERTAILS & ACCESSORIES

I Just painted it black to match the bike. The taillight is probably the cheap ebay one, just search for f4i integrated smoked taillight. Pimpbikes can give you instructions for moving the lock and everything, but the instructions suck. I managed it but it took me 2.5 days and a lot of head scratching.

I think I should have trimmed the 2 ridges at the bottom of my taillight to make it fit more flush, and I probably shouldn't have used plastidip, so avoid these mistakes if you can. I'll correct them eventually.

Old 03-23-2014, 10:51 AM

Awesome thank you for the reply. I've been staring at my bike in the garage while the snow has been falling this weekend.. (damn I rode to work Friday beautiful day) and have been trying to think of a way to custom fab the original tail to look tucked and clean and I think I've got an idea. Im planning on using original brake light with a led bulb, and led blinkers mounted to the passenger pegs. I'll be sure to start a thread with my progress and pictures. Wish me luck it will start and end good! Haha

Old 03-23-2014, 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by ColoradoF4I
Awesome thank you for the reply. I've been staring at my bike in the garage while the snow has been falling this weekend.. (damn I rode to work Friday beautiful day) and have been trying to think of a way to custom fab the original tail to look tucked and clean and I think I've got an idea. Im planning on using original brake light with a led bulb, and led blinkers mounted to the passenger pegs. I'll be sure to start a thread with my progress and pictures. Wish me luck it will start and end good! Haha
I don't think most home made undertails will look as good as one made by professionals. I've seen some ****ty homemade ones. $100 isn't that bad of an investment for the difference it makes. Check on ebay too, they might have cheap ones. Anyways, best of luck. If you make one yourself put up pictures!!

Old 05-28-2014, 05:27 PM
Registered Users

Originally Posted by theadamie
My baby girl is out of surgery and she has her new tail only took me 2.5 days lol... The original mudflap is in the picture with the lake. I used matte black plastidip instead of paint. Pretty happy with the results.

I just did this same undertail on mine. I used a paint in a black color that said it was for inside the engine bay so it's kind of semi-gloss, more toward flat that looks similar to this. Figured it would work well temperature wise since it was meant for under hood parts. My only complaint is that I don't like the license plate brackets. I really don't want to drill into the fiberglass so I'm leaning more toward using a swing arm plate mount. I also couldn't get the key lock to stay in place with the clip. It wants to turn constantly.