F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

got my undertail installed :)

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2014, 08:36 PM
Received 84 Likes on 71 Posts

I agree, the black under tail looks better...

Old 03-04-2014, 09:45 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm kinda partial to ss myself, but I think thats only because it really compliments the silver plastics

Name:  Picture014.jpg
Views: 32
Size:  153.1 KB

Name:  Picture017.jpg
Views: 31
Size:  187.3 KB

WTF was Honda thinking with this monstrosity anyway?

Name:  Picture012.jpg
Views: 32
Size:  217.0 KB

Old 03-04-2014, 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by singram
I'm kinda partial to ss myself, but I think thats only because it really compliments the silver plastics

WTF was Honda thinking with this monstrosity anyway?

Stainless steel? That would have been great and easy to clean but most are only a fender eliminator and not an actual undertail right? Is this the one you have? It looks good.

Fender Eliminator Kit - Honda CBR600F4i (2001-03)

Old 03-04-2014, 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by theadamie
Stainless steel? That would have been great and easy to clean but most are only a fender eliminator and not an actual undertail right? Is this the one you have? It looks good.

Fender Eliminator Kit - Honda CBR600F4i (2001-03)
Looks alot like mine, though they dont specify the brand on your link. Mines a Competition Werks.

The terms FE and and undertail seem to be used interchangeably. Mine is technically referred to as a fender eliminator by CW. When I think of fender eliminator, I think of simply cutting away the mudflap and installing the necessary hardware to accommodate a license plate and tail electricals. On alot of bikes, a simple homemade fender eliminator consists of a couple ss L-brackets, 4 washers and a couple locknuts. Mine was installed cutting away the same amount of the storage area/battery compartment as you did and bolting it up directly to the subframe making it in fact an undertail.

I originally ordered a Hot Bodies "undertail" for the same $, but after reading about the ridiculously inefficient LED indicators, I opted instead to keep the stock lighting with the CW.

Looking at yours again, black does look good, helps break up the yellow. I still think you'r going to be very upset with that Plastidip after the first few rides. I know that tail plastic was not fun removing/installing.

Old 03-04-2014, 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by singram
Looks alot like mine, though they dont specify the brand on your link. Mines a Competition Werks.

The terms FE and and undertail seem to be used interchangeably. Mine is technically referred to as a fender eliminator by CW. When I think of fender eliminator, I think of simply cutting away the mudflap and installing the necessary hardware to accommodate a license plate and tail electricals. On alot of bikes, a simple homemade fender eliminator consists of a couple ss L-brackets, 4 washers and a couple locknuts. Mine was installed cutting away the same amount of the storage area/battery compartment as you did and bolting it up directly to the subframe making it in fact an undertail.

I originally ordered a Hot Bodies "undertail" for the same $, but after reading about the ridiculously inefficient LED indicators, I opted instead to keep the stock lighting with the CW.

Looking at yours again, black does look good, helps break up the yellow. I still think you'r going to be very upset with that Plastidip after the first few rides. I know that tail plastic was not fun removing/installing.
The worst part is the lock and I glued that into place... hopefully I can just remove the cable from the other end or something. The roads around where I live are probably some of the best in the country, so it will probably last longer than a lot of places but I may have to deal with it eventually. I was planning on using spray bedliner but a guy on here told me plasti-dip would be better and no one corrected him until I had already done it and posted this thread :/

Old 03-04-2014, 01:39 PM

I dont know, you may have much better luck with Plastidip than I did. Afew years ago, just for sh*ts and grins, I removed and Plastidipped my old ZX6s green tail plastics black. They looked VERY impressive for the little bit of effort I put in, but started peeling within about 3months. A couple things to think about though-

1. Because I intended my job to be temporary, the only prep I did was a very thorough cleaning. So, yeah, I sprayed right on top of the existing clearcoat. I'm sure your undertail came prepped and primed, ready to paint, no?

2. Tail pieces take a helluva beating getting on/off the bike(my wife climbs on and plops down like a friggin horse sometimes, LOL). You wont have that problem with your undertail. Plus if you used plenty of coats it might even survive abit of gravel.

Still, my one concern would be whether or not PD is petroleum resistant(think road tar), You'd have to look that up. Buuut, the beauty is, that stuff is real easy to touch up. Worse comes to worse, mask off and touch when needed. Roll with it till/if you ever decide to remove the tail to fix the lock.

Old 03-10-2014, 10:07 PM

So you guys would paint it black, not the color of my bike (blue)?

Old 03-12-2014, 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by Tvegas
So you guys would paint it black, not the color of my bike (blue)?
I would, but it's your bike

Old 03-12-2014, 11:42 AM

sexy *** bike, I love that undertail. Looking at your F4i really makes me wish mine was still around.

Old 03-13-2014, 08:01 AM

Originally Posted by mikesx4911
sexy *** bike, I love that undertail. Looking at your F4i really makes me wish mine was still around.
Thanks a lot man I haven't had it long. I picked it up in January and I'm in love with it I had dirtbikes before but this is my first street bike. What do you have now?

Quick Reply: got my undertail installed :)