F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Going back to stock rear sprocket...

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2008, 09:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Going back to stock rear sprocket...

Well I did the full sprocket and chain conversion a while back and after everyone I know told me to just do the front conversion and get a new chain. Well I didn’t listen and now I don’t like my setup at all. It revs really so high, tops out at lower speeds and burns through gas like no other! I knew all this would happen before I did the conversion, but Im stubborn and wanted it really bad,So, I’m going to get a new rear tire put on this Friday and am planning on putting the stock sprocket back on the rear. One question.....is the 520 chain still good to use with the stock rear sprocket and front Vortex 16? Im pretty sure it is, but I just wanted an outside opinion before I go putting it all back together.

Thanks!

Old 05-14-2008, 10:22 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Going back to stock rear sprocket...

Nope. Stock is 525. Stock Sprockets are 16/46. The 520 chain will not fit over a 525 sprocket.

Old 05-14-2008, 10:41 PM
gr8

what setup did u get>? the -1 front +2 rear?

Old 05-14-2008, 10:59 PM

what sprocket did u have in the back Vortex?

Old 05-14-2008, 11:57 PM

Unfortunately Jaybird180 is right. If you bought a 520 conversion you won't be able to use your stock sprocket as it wouldn't fit. I would have worked if you were say the other way around and had a 525 chain and a 520 sprocket but no dice. Burning a lot of gas and high revs? When i was -1 +2 I was getting about 35-38 mpg and now with only -1 in the front I'm getting consistant 40's unless I'm doing a track day where I'm running mid to low 20 mpg. Bleh

Old 05-15-2008, 03:55 AM

a man you are only plus 2 i rock my f4i as a stunt bike and im 1down up9 and my bike still gets 35-40mpg on the highway and im 325lbs. its a 600 reving it wont hurt a thing, as for your mpg how many miles on your bike it maybe time for new spark plugs and an air filter. also remember when u change gearing you miles counter will be off so if you know someone with a f4i go for a ride with them gas up at the start try to ride the same as that person as in shifting gears and all that and see if your tank last as long as there. fill up again if there is a big difference in how much gas your bike takes compared to your buddys your bike may need some wrench work

Old 05-15-2008, 08:23 AM

ORIGINAL: Jaybird180

Nope. Stock is 525. Stock Sprockets are 16/46. The 520 chain will not fit over a 525 sprocket.
Damn that sucks.....Can I use my stock chain if I still have it?

ORIGINAL: gr8

what setup did u get>? the -1 front +2 rear?
Yes

ORIGINAL: maximus3

what sprocket did u have in the back Vortex?
Yes

ORIGINAL: traitorhound

Unfortunately Jaybird180 is right. If you bought a 520 conversion you won't be able to use your stock sprocket as it wouldn't fit. I would have worked if you were say the other way around and had a 525 chain and a 520 sprocket but no dice. Burning a lot of gas and high revs? When i was -1 +2 I was getting about 35-38 mpg and now with only -1 in the front I'm getting consistant 40's unless I'm doing a track day where I'm running mid to low 20 mpg. Bleh
I meen when Im on the highway in 5th or 6th it is reving very high and I lost SOO much off my top end speed.

ORIGINAL: fatheadon1

a man you are only plus 2 i rock my f4i as a stunt bike and im 1down up9 and my bike still gets 35-40mpg on the highway and im 325lbs. its a 600 reving it wont hurt a thing, as for your mpg how many miles on your bike it maybe time for new spark plugs and an air filter. also remember when u change gearing you miles counter will be off so if you know someone with a f4i go for a ride with them gas up at the start try to ride the same as that person as in shifting gears and all that and see if your tank last as long as there. fill up again if there is a big difference in how much gas your bike takes compared to your buddys your bike may need some wrench work

It has 14000 miles. I have a brand new K & N in there. It has been babied and taken care of its while life. Im not syaing its doing anything wrong...its just not running how I want it to be.

I guess my question now is what can I do? Go back to stock or nothing...is that my option!

Old 05-15-2008, 08:34 AM

you could buy a 520 46t rear sprocket. Honestly I don't really like 520 chains. They don't really give you that much of an edge unless you are racing and they dont last as long. My DID ERV3 520 lasted 10k of street and track days until it would stretch every ride. I also went through 2 sets of sprockets in that time and they looked like shark fins when i was done with them. My DID 525 VM2 or whatever it is has 6 K on it now and the sprockets look like new and the chain is holding tension very well

Old 05-15-2008, 08:38 AM

Maybe I will just keep my setup and quit bitching about something thats not wrong with my bike!!! I smoke other f4i's on thr street...a few of my friends have them...and they want the setup I have...and all I want is back to stocK!!

Im just going to keep it like it is.....THANKS FOR ALLL THE HELP!!!!

Old 05-15-2008, 06:55 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There's your solution. Trade your friend.

Quick Reply: Going back to stock rear sprocket...