F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Global Positioning System

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2009, 10:52 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Global Positioning System

alright, i tried searching because im sure this has been discussed before, but we all know how lovely the search function is here - to make a long story short you cant search the term GPS because its too short and it seems no one had spelled out the acronym because that search yielded nada.

Anywho, my question is this. I know some of you have GPS's for your bikes - how did you mount them? I recently purchased a Garmin Nuvi 750 for the car, and figured it would be pretty cool if i could use it on my bike. I was hot to trot about using this, but I am pretty sure there isn't anywhere i could actually mount it on my F4I.

http://cgi.ebay.com/MOTORCYCLE-BIKE-...3%3A1|294%3A50

I know i could get one of those tank mounts used for cameras, but they are a little spendy - i'm looking to do something on the cheap here. My other though was a cheapy magnetic tank bag.

Any thoughts?

Old 06-05-2009, 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by Daemian
alright, i tried searching because im sure this has been discussed before, but we all know how lovely the search function is here - to make a long story short you cant search the term GPS because its too short and it seems no one had spelled out the acronym because that search yielded nada.

Anywho, my question is this. I know some of you have GPS's for your bikes - how did you mount them? I recently purchased a Garmin Nuvi 750 for the car, and figured it would be pretty cool if i could use it on my bike. I was hot to trot about using this, but I am pretty sure there isn't anywhere i could actually mount it on my F4I.

http://cgi.ebay.com/MOTORCYCLE-BIKE-...3%3A1|294%3A50

I know i could get one of those tank mounts used for cameras, but they are a little spendy - i'm looking to do something on the cheap here. My other though was a cheapy magnetic tank bag.

Any thoughts?
Yeah, there's a mount. Go to RAM mount and search for RAM-B-342U. This mount will insert into your center stem hole after you remove the cap. It will provide a hard rubber ball to link with a Nuvi mount, which RAM also sells.

Works great. I have one on F4i.

--Paul

Old 06-05-2009, 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by Berto
Yeah, there's a mount. Go to RAM mount and search for RAM-B-342U. This mount will insert into your center stem hole after you remove the cap. It will provide a hard rubber ball to link with a Nuvi mount, which RAM also sells.

Works great. I have one on F4i.

--Paul
Any chance you have some/can take some pictures?

I'm seriously considering getting one for mine (down the road, but it doesn't hurt to plan), and I'm curious to see how far it sticks up.

Old 06-05-2009, 09:11 PM

I'll take some snaps for you tomorrow.

Where in Florida are you? I'm in Venice.

--Paul

Old 06-05-2009, 11:29 PM

I mounted my nuvi with the suction to the inside of the wind screen...
Worked fine the suction did not fail, but the ball joint on the gps did. I went over RXR tracks and my nuvi popped off and fell to the road. It is scuffed up, but still works great, just it goes in the tank bag now.

Old 06-06-2009, 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by florida f4i
Any chance you have some/can take some pictures?

I'm seriously considering getting one for mine (down the road, but it doesn't hurt to plan), and I'm curious to see how far it sticks up.
Photos attached.

Attached Thumbnails Global Positioning System-gpsmount.jpg   Global Positioning System-gpsmountcloseup.jpg  
Old 06-06-2009, 02:07 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I mounted mine to the gas tank bolts...

With a 3" arm it sits PERFECTLY below my speedometer/tach visually.

Old 06-07-2009, 10:09 AM

I have to get on this, it is annoying to have to use my tank bag every time I want to GPS somewhere. And its a little hard to see thru the clear window, GPS not facing me.

Old 06-08-2009, 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by woot
I mounted mine to the gas tank bolts...
With a 3" arm it sits PERFECTLY below my speedometer/tach visually.
Woot where did you get that mounting piece? Or is it a custom jobby?

Old 06-08-2009, 08:38 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It is the basic ram mount diamond foot print.

I did have to modify it slightly as the holes were not as widely places as the gas tank bolts. I just used my drilled and shaved them wider - it is soft metal... Then I trimmed the bottom edge to fit the gas tank - you can see (just) how the bottom is slightly less pointed than the top)

I think I posted part numbers once before... one minute

Quick Reply: Global Positioning System