F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

gel battery

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2007, 10:10 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default gel battery

well my battery has been giving me problems since i bout the bike so its dead and decided to search and found the gel made for our bikes. its a dvolt by a guy out in southern cali and has damn good rep with these and he makes them specific for the bike community and atv. ive always used gel batteries in all my cars and now that i found one for the bike ima step up and buy it. ill let u guys know how it is and give a break down on it. hopefully this battery is good and holds a good charge like there counterparts do for cars. heres a link to this guys website
http://www.dvoltbatteries.com/2006.html

Old 04-18-2007, 12:47 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: gel battery

that's the way to go! let us know how it fits and dimensions compared to the yuasa.

Old 04-18-2007, 02:52 PM

When I first got my bike (ninja 250) the battery sucked *****. It would never start on the first try and I always had to jump it (but most of the time I was trying to start it in under 50*F weather). I bought a battery tender and I hook it up about once a week (not every time i put it in the garage) and I've never had any problems since.

Old 04-18-2007, 07:10 PM

well i was talking to the guy and the dimensions are identical to the yuasa batteries for the 01-06 f4i's. checked around and his status and people with the batteries love them and will never go to anythign else now. it should be here hopefully by this weekend cuz i wanna ride, ill take some pics of it when it arrives

Old 04-18-2007, 07:22 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Benefits, anyone?
And before you say, I already read their website.

Old 04-18-2007, 07:57 PM

benefits from a gel over the standard acid are alot, more power on demand when needed such as cold weather. longer lasting battery due to acid not breaking down inside of the battery. they withstand alot of viberation and dont discharge from it at all like older batteries do and also can withstand more heat and pretty much can be installed upside down if need be and it wont leak. many good things from this type of battery just hope this guy has built a good battery

Old 04-18-2007, 09:06 PM

So why dont manufacturers use them as standard?
I just got a gel from ebay and I had to press-fit the cover, but after that it works pretty well so far. Gauges dim much less when the starter engages... so far so good.

Old 04-18-2007, 09:30 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hopefully I won't be needing one anytime soon, but I did buy a new battery for my car recently. No biggie.

Old 04-18-2007, 11:35 PM

did a quick search on them, heres what i found, its for boats but it has some good info.

http://www.mvmorninglight.net/technotes_20060126.html
Gel batteries (a.k.a. sealed, valve-regulated or SVR) are sealed and use pressure release valves to keep their internal pressure at a slightly positive value, yet they can release excessive pressure if needed. The impossibility of adding water, or gaining access to the battery's inside, forces the manufacturer to make an extremely high quality battery with great consistency. When initially mixed from the various chemicals, the gel is quite liquid, and can be poured easily. The gel is drawn into each cell under a vacuum that eliminates voids and pockets of air that can result in dead spots on plate surfaces and loss of capacity and performance. Once it is in place, the gel becomes quite viscous, making the battery impervious to leakage in case the battery gets inverted or its case sustains damage. A downside to gel batteries is that there is a maximum charging voltage of 14.1 volts. Because of this requirement, the boat's charging system must be adjusted for the battery to be properly recharged without dramatically shortening its life.

Old 04-18-2007, 11:37 PM

Not to mention, his prices are outstanding too. When I need one I'm going through him.

Quick Reply: gel battery