F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

>> gear indicator question <<

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2009, 08:51 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation >> gear indicator question <<

GEAR INDICATOR QUESTION

OK I KNOW ABOUT THE ONES THAT YOU HAVE TO TRAIN, IS THERE ANY THAT PRETTY MUCH ARE PLUG & PLAY? AND IF NOT, SO HOW HARD IS IT TO TRAIN THOSE THINGS, HOW HARD TO INSTALL? ANYONE HAS IT FAULTING OR NOT WORKING RIGHT? MY GF'S F4I IS GIVING HER SO MANY ISSUES.

Old 06-16-2009, 08:59 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have only seen ones you have totrain for the F4i. Based on the speed sensor as there is no stock gear indicator or way of tapping into anything to just plug and play a gear indicator. All you have to do is tap into the speed sensor it is a (this probably isn't right it has been awhile on the F4i) brown wire coming out of the trans that is in a group of three wires. Then you put it on a stand and set it up. They work ok but it takes a lot of adjusting to get it right. I had mine setup so 4-6 gear worked great but it said I was in second when I was in first. I just never dialed it in. very easy to do.

Old 06-16-2009, 10:26 AM

I installed the Datatool DiGi Digital Gear Indicator on my 2001 F4i. It was not a difficult install at all. Actually it was very easy to wire. I found all my wires behind the instrument cluster and mounted the display on the top center of the instrument cluster.
The key is programming the gears and then teaching it to recognize the gear you are in while riding.
What I did was:
1. Put my bike on the rear swing arm stand.
2. Wired it all up.
3. Made sure the bike was warmed up.
4. I wired the programming wire (Orange) to a toggle switch to make it easier.
5. Program the DiGi for how many gears I have.
6. Then, I started the bike and went right into teaching the gear ratios.

That was the tricky part. The first attempt I made, it did not work correctly. It showed that I was in a different gear than I was actually in. So, immediately after I programmed the DiGi to how many gears I had I went right into teaching the gear ratios. After that it worked perfectly.

Wiring Information for '01 F4i:

DiGi Wire Color Bike Wire Color Location Function
Black Green Behind Cluster Ground
Red Black/Brown Behind Cluster Ignition
Blue Light Green/Red Behind Cluster Neutral Light
Yellow Yellow/Green Behind Cluster Tachometer
Green Pink/Green Behind Cluster Speedometer
Orange Learn/Set up

Please let me know if you would like me to walk you through step by step. I did not take pictures. I hope this helps.

The main thing is the programming. Kind of tricky.

Here is a picture of where it is mounted.
[IMG][/IMG]

Old 06-16-2009, 10:55 AM

how much did that datatool cost you?

Originally Posted by NitroNut
I installed the Datatool DiGi Digital Gear Indicator on my 2001 F4i. It was not a difficult install at all. Actually it was very easy to wire. I found all my wires behind the instrument cluster and mounted the display on the top center of the instrument cluster.
The key is programming the gears and then teaching it to recognize the gear you are in while riding.
What I did was:
1. Put my bike on the rear swing arm stand.
2. Wired it all up.
3. Made sure the bike was warmed up.
4. I wired the programming wire (Orange) to a toggle switch to make it easier.
5. Program the DiGi for how many gears I have.
6. Then, I started the bike and went right into teaching the gear ratios.

That was the tricky part. The first attempt I made, it did not work correctly. It showed that I was in a different gear than I was actually in. So, immediately after I programmed the DiGi to how many gears I had I went right into teaching the gear ratios. After that it worked perfectly.

Wiring Information for '01 F4i:

DiGi Wire Color Bike Wire Color Location Function
Black Green Behind Cluster Ground
Red Black/Brown Behind Cluster Ignition
Blue Light Green/Red Behind Cluster Neutral Light
Yellow Yellow/Green Behind Cluster Tachometer
Green Pink/Green Behind Cluster Speedometer
Orange Learn/Set up

Please let me know if you would like me to walk you through step by step. I did not take pictures. I hope this helps.

The main thing is the programming. Kind of tricky.

Here is a picture of where it is mounted.
[IMG][/IMG]

Old 06-16-2009, 11:13 AM

Indysuperbikes.com

Datatool DiGi Digital Gear Indicator

$ 75.95
$ 11.95 shipping to CA

$ 87.87 total

Old 06-16-2009, 11:37 AM

ok im thinking of ordering it soon enough. can i count of some help from you? i can take an engine apart, but i have never installed of these things so im just being careful not to fry out any electrical. how well where the instructions written out?

Old 06-16-2009, 11:52 AM

Of course I would assist you. When you get the gear indicator let me know and I will provide you with my cell phone number and I can walk you through the entire installation process from start to finish. Not a problem at all. We can also try and come up with a solution for your GF's Gear Indicator.

I work for Clarion Corporation of America (not the hotel chain) as the Technical Services Manager. (www.clarion.com)
This is what my team and I do on a day to day basis.

Old 06-16-2009, 11:59 AM

thanks man. hey listen i got a question. i usually see it when it gets colder out, the the bike all of a sudden while riding the engine gets like really stubborn, and the F1 light turns on, and if i pull the clutch the engine dies. iv also noticed it during extreme acceleration. sometimes it happens even under normal riding. i dont know what it is. i changed filter, plugs, and oil. i checked the codes and it came back air intake temp sensor. i changed it and still it does this problem any tips? but when in N it doesn't do it. just under acceleration and sometimes just riding.

Old 06-16-2009, 12:17 PM

Not sure. In California it does not get that cold. We see 50 degrees in the winter, but that is about as cold as it gets.
What is your tach at in idle in "N"? Does it drop when you go into 1st gear? If so, it could be the idle needing to be increased?

Old 06-16-2009, 12:26 PM

no i adjusted that as well, its fine.

its while riding, and everything is fine then out of no were it starts this crap. and its not always. its like sooo random.

Quick Reply: >> gear indicator question <<