F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Gear change? Regrets?

Old 11-23-2009, 07:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gear change? Regrets?

Does anyone regret going with a -1/+2 setup? I love my bike, but wouldnt mind a little more pep. All I have is the LOR slip on.

Does anyone regret this gear change? Too agressive? I dont care about noise or gas mileage, just having fun.

A few other questions;

-Did you do the sprockets and chain yourself?
-Is there a setup that I don't need a special tool to assemble the chain?
-I really want a red chain, is there a company that sells this?
-What size socket do I need? I have a 27 for the rear axle, do I need a 32 for the front sprocket?

All I can find is deadbeat sellers on ebay who will not respond to my questions. I appreciate any help.

Old 11-23-2009, 07:20 PM

I went with a -1/+2 for my first sprocket change. I know that you will need a little longer chain, so i dont know if the stock one will work. I definately do not regret it, it made it a whole different bike. I did all the work myself and it was pretty simple. The front sprocket was pretty easy too, im not sure what size the nut is. make sure you torque everything when you are done. Ive never had mine fall off but i can only imagine how bad that could end up.... if you need to know torque specs i can tell you those and proabably the sizes too im just too lazy to get my clymer manual right now.

-MMMichael

Old 11-23-2009, 11:03 PM

Thanks man, I noticed your sig says -1/+4 is that true?? Do you stunt? I would appreciate any links to brands other people used.

Old 11-23-2009, 11:17 PM

Vortex sprockets -1/+2 and regina chain (520). Got it as a kit from kneedraggers.

RK might have a red chain. Check it out.

I like it, although gotta shift up a lot earlier. On a road with many stop signs it gets a bit annoying

Well, you will have to buy the tool anyways. My chain came with both master and rivet links. So... I screwed the rivet link (of course) and used the master link for about two weeks. You can just use master link to get to any bike shops around and have them to install rivet for just 20$

The socket sizes are right, 27 and 32? Not entirely sure about the front. Check out "How to" section by Incognito, he listed all necessary info.

Old 11-23-2009, 11:20 PM

no i dont stunt, i just love the ***** to the wall acceleration. I also changed my swingarm to the 600rr one, which was 2 inches longer and for some reason after that i couldnt get a wheelie to come up as easy so thats another reason why i went +4. I used Vortex sprocket on the +4 swap but for my -1/+2 i went with some brand on ebay. I cant remember exactly what there name was, but it was a kit. I got an EK 520 gold chain and both the front and rear sprockets with whatever number of teeth you want for like 150 bucks or something like that. Just search ebay and you will find something, im sure.

Old 11-23-2009, 11:35 PM

Hi,

I have an 1995 F3 that I did a 520 conversion on not too long ago. I believe I went +4 on the rear sprocket, which if I remember correctly was slightly less change than -1/+2, but still more than -1 on the front only. I was very happy with the added pep, it did indeed feel much more lively, almost like I was one gear lower than I actually was, which took a little getting used to at first. Gas mileage was barely worse, and yes the revs on the highway are a bit higher (around 1k higher than stock I think), but its still def. worth it in my opinion. Was fairly simple to do myself, I bought my kit from a ebay seller called Moto-Heaven. Very good customer service, they made my sprocket for me custom for no extra charge and seemed very knowledgeable. Reasonably priced too, and they even offer red chains (for an extra $30). here's a link to one of their auctions:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Honda...Q5fAccessories

Old 11-23-2009, 11:57 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the 520 -1/+2 on my F4 n love it n no regrets. Stock pitch works fine too, most street riders cant n wont tell the diff with the 520.

Old 11-24-2009, 05:37 PM

This always bothered when it came to this conversion...is a speedohealer required?? I didn't change my kit because I couldn't afford the healer at the time. But the 20K maintenance is coming very soon and so is Christmas...that and I think I'm going to win the speeding ticket I'm fighting hahaha, my friend won and we got the same ticket same time. FTP! haha jk.

Old 11-24-2009, 06:51 PM

A speedo-healer is not required but it will make your speedometer correct. If you change your gearing, your speedo will be off but it doesnt affect the way it rides or anything, it just racks up mileage faster because it says that you are going faster than you actually are. I have and i think mine was 130 bucks or something and was pretty simple to install. I think that it was worth it, plus mine has a top speed thing in it to where you can hit a button that comes with it and it will show you whats the fastest that you have gone. its pretty cool, but thats just my 2 cents.

-MMMichael

Old 11-25-2009, 04:52 AM

I did a -1 on the front and did not have to get a longer chain. It was exactly what I was looking for as far as acceleration goes. If I want more some day I can get a +2 rear and a new chain.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Gear change? Regrets?