F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Gas Cap Removal

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2012, 09:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Gas Cap Removal

Here is headache #156424 of the bike rebuild. The F%#ŁĄ*% that had stolen my bike broke my ignition key off in the gas tank lock. So not only can I not open gas tank, but also I had to buy a new ignition as well. I am trying to save myself from having to buy a new tank and so I am looking for good ways of removing gas tank caps without having access to the keyhole.

Suggestions?

Old 05-02-2012, 12:50 AM

That sucks man. Someone else can chime in on this to tell me if im wrong or right but i know with the gas cap off the bike itll still lock into place so does it only lock onto the outer ring of the gas cap or under the lip of the hole in the gas tank itself? As in, can you just unbolt the gas cap and pull it off and replace it? Seems highly unlikely but i never really looked into it when i had my f4i so just a possibility.

NEXT would be is there a way you could epoxy or jb weld something to the broken off end of the key and wait for it to dry then pull it out? I know its a tight space and youd prob have to lube up the insides of the keyhole so it wouldnt stick to the tumbler but its worth a shot.

Lastly, that same method except just epoxy the rest of the key in there, unlock the gascap, unbolt it, and replace the ignition and gas cap set altogether which seems like your best bet.

my biggest question though is how did they get the keys to your bike? And since you obviously got it back after they stole it insurance isnt gonna cover replacing and fixing that?

Old 05-02-2012, 08:37 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Unscrew the hex bolts, then jab a screw driver in to turn the lock (granted its the correct key broken off in there) so it unlatches from the lip.
you might need a 2nd screwdriver or something plastic to pry the cap off the tank as your turning the broken key hole.

Old 05-02-2012, 09:02 AM

Unscrew three hex bolts, use a screwdriver to push the broken half of the key in to its fully-seated position and then use the part that's left to open the lock. Patience and good English as you finesse the lock.

Don't pry unless this is a last ditch effort and you don't care that the tank gets damaged.

You might consider a locksmith as well. :-)

Old 05-02-2012, 09:59 AM

The key is pretty mangled up inside. I think it was a last ditch effort to screw the bike over before getting busted. I don't know if going through the keyhole is going to be an option. I will try though.

As for how he got my keys well he didn't. He swapped a number of his parts onto my frame after stealing it. One of them being a new ignition. When I got the bike back I was given his broken key.

I really don't want to but I think I a, going to have to pry it off. Where and how am I supposed to do this. I have all of the outer ring bolts removed.

Old 05-02-2012, 07:29 PM

I'd probably drill the lock out, you'll have to clean out the tank after though. You could take it to a locksmith or call them and see what they say.

Old 05-02-2012, 07:55 PM

Call a mobile locksmith. Call more than one, the rates will vary quite a bit. If you have a friend that knows one that would be best. A friend of mine had the same thing happen the key broke off and the locksmith used a couple tools and pulled the key right out. Good Luck!

Old 05-03-2012, 12:10 AM

Originally Posted by ReconnaisanceMan
Unscrew three hex bolts, use a screwdriver to push the broken half of the key in to its fully-seated position and then use the part that's left to open the lock. Patience and good English as you finesse the lock.

Don't pry unless this is a last ditch effort and you don't care that the tank gets damaged.

You might consider a locksmith as well. :-)
I'd do this, if it is the right key in there. You should be able to just push it the rest of the way in and turn it. If a locksmith says he can't help you or it would cost more for him to help than a new tank; you are going to have to buy a new tank anyway. So pry away. Best case scenario- you just have to bend whatever stops the locking mechanism back into place and bolt on a new gas cap

Old 05-03-2012, 09:21 AM
June 2012 Ride of the Month

I'd say calling a locksmith is your best bet to not damage the gas tank. Or you could take the whole tank off the bike and bring it to a locksmith, may be cheaper seeing the locksmith doesn't have to come to you.

Old 06-18-2021, 11:00 AM

Locksmith can unlock the gas tank easily but sometimes they also fail to unlock it and it ended up replacing the whole lock.

Quick Reply: Gas Cap Removal