F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Gas Cap

Old 10-11-2010, 09:26 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gas Cap

I went to fill up the other day and couldnt get the gas cap open. I nearly broke off the key trying to open it and then had to straighten out the key to get it to work in the ingnition. I have the tank off the bike and I am just looking for the easiest way to remove the gas cap without use of the key. I'm ready to drill the effing thing out.

Old 10-11-2010, 11:35 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://cbrworld.net/forums/thread/226164.aspx that thread might help.

Did you try spraying some lube in the keyhole? Try pressing the cap down with one hand while you try the key with the other...

Old 10-11-2010, 11:44 AM
April 2011 Ride of the Month

Originally Posted by Sick97SS
Try pressing the cap down with one hand while you try the key with the other...
DUDE thats some extreme multi tasking right there... idk if i could pull it off haha

regardless op you could always get a keyless gas cap off ebay for like 25 bucks... just my

Old 10-11-2010, 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by Sick97SS
Did you try spraying some lube in the keyhole? Try pressing the cap down with one hand while you try the key with the other...

I had the same problem as the op did...

and I had to do what sick talked about and just made a habbit of doing it everytime I fuel up...It opens and closes alot better now to

Old 10-11-2010, 01:55 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think they're just finnicky in general. Mine only cooperates when it wants.

Old 10-11-2010, 04:49 PM

Yes, I tried it all. The cap has always been weird. Everytime I had to open it, I had to push down on it. I tried spraying WD-40 down the hole to loosen it up and still nothing. It was all tried yesterday with no luck, thats why I asked for some help.

Looks like I'm going to pop it with a screw driver and buy a new one. The ONLY problem with having one that doesn't lock is that I live in Trenton and do not always have the luxury of putting the bike in the garage.

Old 10-11-2010, 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by asill
The ONLY problem with having one that doesn't lock is that I live in Trenton and do not always have the luxury of putting the bike in the garage.
Have you ever pulled up to the gas pump and seen someone else's gas cap sitting on top of the pump? ...just sayin'

Old 10-11-2010, 05:45 PM

I had the same problem and the bad part is I needed gas at the time. Spray WD-40 in the keyhole and spray the locking mechanism when you get it open. Works great now

Old 10-12-2010, 06:07 AM

Originally Posted by sparkman
Have you ever pulled up to the gas pump and seen someone else's gas cap sitting on top of the pump? ...just sayin'
Nope. I guess thats the problem with living in a very urban area with a high crime rate.

Pretty much no matter where you go in Jersey, you are not allowed to pump your own gas. Some places I cant get away with it on the bike. Just another X in the box of why I dislike this state.

Old 10-12-2010, 05:51 PM

So I got it fixed. I used the BEST corrosion inhibitor on the market. It is made by Kimble Midwest. Works 100 times better than WD-40, PB Blaster or anything else I have ever tried. But anyway, I got the gas cap to open and close with ease.

Search this Thread