F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

gas?

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2006, 08:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: gas?

I've heard 60 days before gas starts to get old, just what I've heard though. I stick stable in my cars and my bike, they usally set for 4-5 months during the winters. I beleive your supposed to run it a little so it works it way into the fuel lines too. Just another tip if you don;t already know, but fill the tank as much as you can before storage, it leaves less room for condensation to form in the tank.

Old 12-11-2006, 10:27 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

One of my cars needs Seafoam. Where can I get it? Does it make it smoke? Does Stab-iL make it smoke?

Old 12-11-2006, 11:23 PM

Pep boys sells sea foam, or pretty much any chain auto parts store. Can't say that I've had any trouble with anything smoking with a gas stablizer in it.

Old 12-12-2006, 12:56 AM

Tell me more about Seafoam. Would it be a good preventive maintenance treatment?

Old 12-12-2006, 03:02 AM

probably a fuel stabilizer lol, but yea i probably wouldnt leave gas more then a month max without any kind of stabilizer
ORIGINAL: dondi

Tell me more about Seafoam. Would it be a good preventive maintenance treatment?

Old 12-12-2006, 07:50 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Seafoam is both a fuel stabilizer and a cleaner.

Most cleaners don't do much more than reduce - they're not really going to fix a really bad problem. I've used seafoam on a number of vehicles as a gas additive with really good results. It really does seem to clean. I keep track of every tank of gas I run through my vehicles - last week I put a can in my cavalier. Instead of gettin 500km on that tank I got damn near 600km.

Despite being good - if I ever had a really bad set of carbs I wouldn't waste my money using cleaners as a fuel additive. At that point the best thing to do is take the carbs apart and clean them properly with very soft cleaning tools.

I find it's worth running in all of my vehicles once a year... at that frequency I can see (prove) results from my log books.

Old 12-13-2006, 02:05 AM

You should be alright with 2 months but that SHOULD be the limit. I have never used stabilizers in anything (except my new bike). My cavalier has the same gas in it from about 3 maybe 4 months ago. Started right up and run fine (besides jumping the battery). Bottom line IMO is you should alright with 2 months, but I would ride until empty and fill her back up with fresh gas. Wouldn't hurt to run some sea foam through as well, it can only help.