CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   F4i - Main Forum (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/)
-   -   funny start after warm (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/funny-start-after-warm-124430/)

spoolie25 04-24-2011 10:07 PM

funny start after warm

well after i ride . when the bike is warm it needs throttel to start. and also what i have noticed is on start up when cold it idles high all most 3 grand high till oil temp hits about 100. i was thinking fpr but not sure . just seeing if any one has had this issue before and if they know what it could be befoe i spend some diag time on it . thanks for the help..

backyardmechanic 04-24-2011 10:58 PM

Where is your idle set when at OP temp, it should be able to idle fine when its hot. It will be lower, i have OP idle at 1500, warm idle immediately after start is 1100

spoolie25 04-25-2011 09:00 AM

its set at 1100 when bike is hot . maybe i need a carb sync. i was just thinking about that lol.. that would cause all the symtoms i have high idle at start up and hard start when warm. its funny becase if it sits for a while and oil temp gets around 120 . it starts fine and idles at 1100. but its only when its cold that it goes to almost 3 grand than goes to 1100 when oil temp goes above 100.. guess i am going to have to start tearing it apart.

nick_ 04-25-2011 10:01 AM

My bike also cold start idles at a bit under 3, i'm pretty sure thats normal?

Junior2552 04-25-2011 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by spoolie25 (Post 1044173)
its set at 1100 when bike is hot . maybe i need a carb sync. i was just thinking about that lol.. that would cause all the symtoms i have high idle at start up and hard start when warm. its funny becase if it sits for a while and oil temp gets around 120 . it starts fine and idles at 1100. but its only when its cold that it goes to almost 3 grand than goes to 1100 when oil temp goes above 100.. guess i am going to have to start tearing it apart.

Your F4i doesn't have a carb. That's why it's an F4i. Not an F4. Learn some things about your bike, then diagnose problems. It could be a battery, it could be a fuel pump...FOR YOUR INJECTORS... our bikes don't like hot weather. So if it's been sitting and staying hot, it will struggle a little starting up. That's just what they do. Make sure the fuel you're using is good, check pump, injectors, relays, etc.

Junior2552 04-25-2011 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by nick_ (Post 1044201)
My bike also cold start idles at a bit under 3, i'm pretty sure thats normal?

That is normal. That's right where it should idle at cold.

Junior2552 04-25-2011 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by spoolie25 (Post 1044006)
well after i ride . when the bike is warm it needs throttel to start. and also what i have noticed is on start up when cold it idles high all most 3 grand high till oil temp hits about 100. i was thinking fpr but not sure . just seeing if any one has had this issue before and if they know what it could be befoe i spend some diag time on it . thanks for the help..

That's not an issue. It's how a bike idles when it's cold.

backyardmechanic 04-25-2011 11:28 AM

+1 to everything junior said

spoolie25 04-25-2011 12:28 PM

i find that funny that the service book for honda shows how to do it . and my buddy f4i does not do this and. it was a question. to see if it was normal or not . but i guess your right it was a stupied questin and just an fyi i went to school for bikes and i work on cars and have been for a long time. i was asking if it was a problem i did not need to be bashed like you did but i guess thats just how some people are they think they know every thing.. :) EVERY DAY YOU LEARN SOME THING NEW EVEN GUYS WHO HAVE BEEN IN THIS FIELD FOR 30 PLUS YEARS ..

spoolie25 04-25-2011 12:31 PM

https://cbrforum.com/forum/how-mecha...-bodies-42239/ and o wow look there is even a dyi on this form :)

Junior2552 04-25-2011 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by spoolie25 (Post 1044310)
i find that funny that the service book for honda shows how to do it . and my buddy f4i does not do this and. it was a question. to see if it was normal or not . but i guess your right it was a stupied questin and just an fyi i went to school for bikes and i work on cars and have been for a long time. i was asking if it was a problem i did not need to be bashed like you did but i guess thats just how some people are they think they know every thing.. :) EVERY DAY YOU LEARN SOME THING NEW EVEN GUYS WHO HAVE BEEN IN THIS FIELD FOR 30 PLUS YEARS ..

A. Bullsh!t you went to school for bikes. If you did, you would know how ANY MOTORCYCLE starts when it's cold. Harley's, Suzuki's, hell, even Triumphs. Whether it's 1,2,3, or 4 cylinders, it idles high when cold, just like every CAR ever made as well. They run rich as hell at cold idle as well while they try to bring the oil temp up. Don't be an arrogant prick. I didn't bash you. Now I am.

B. I do know everything about F4i's, I built 3. That's why I don't have any retarded posts asking if my fuel injected bike needs a carb jet, or why it idles so high at COLD START.

C. And, when I see something new about an F4i, you'll be the first to know.

Junior2552 04-25-2011 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by spoolie25 (Post 1044311)
https://cbrforum.com/forum/how-mecha...-bodies-42239/ and o wow look there is even a dyi on this form :)

And those are independent throttle bodies, attached to an injection system. Not a carb jet/sync. Now you're picking a fight with a vet who knows what they're talking about. Ready to look like a moron?

If you need to adjust your throttle bodies, what do you think the reasoning would be? Too little or too much fuel?
Do you think it's one of the injectors?
Are the plugs fouling out?
Is it a relay?
Plug wires?

Common, show me up big guy.

spoolie25 04-25-2011 10:01 PM

first off i never said i had carbs . you have no idea about me just like i dont know about you . so that being said . i have never seen any thing idle at almost 3 grand when cold period i know alot about bikes and cars i was asking if any one else has this problem like i said my friends f4i does not do this as well as my friends old one . so to me that would mean my bike some thing is worng it take 2 min to post up here vrs time trying to figure out what it is . and i guess all the people who posted up on that post are stuoied just like me i guess so what you have built a few bikes i have built bikes cars o and bulit a 92 vw gti with the motor in the hatch with a vr6 turbo in it . but yea your right i am just stupied and you know every thing .. so if your going to keep going with this PLEASE DONT POST HERE THANKS

spoolie25 04-25-2011 10:05 PM

o and if you have a honda service manual go to page 5-77 guess honda lies to :)

champ24 04-25-2011 10:33 PM

My friends 01 f4i idles at 3k on cold startups. After riding, sometimes my bike starts easier with a little throttle. It's never hard to start, it's just easier with throttle and only when the engine is hot. Everything your bike is doing sounds normal to me.

spoolie25 04-25-2011 10:48 PM

see thats all i wanted thank you champ . i just did not think that was normal i have not been around bikes in a good 5 years up intill last year again . and like i said before my friends f4i s never did this . but who knows lol.

F34Me? 04-25-2011 10:50 PM

http://www.muditajournal.com/wp-cont...n-internet.png

spoolie25 04-25-2011 10:50 PM

and thats the thing when hot my bike will not start with out a lil throttle

champ24 04-25-2011 11:02 PM

Warm idle should be around 1400. If yours is at 1100 like you say then its a little low and that could be part of the hot starting problem.

spoolie25 04-25-2011 11:20 PM

yea i was just flipping threw the service manual and i saw that lol thanks a bunch i will look at that in the am . i am sure thats what it is ..

boredandstroked 04-26-2011 12:17 AM

Originally Posted by Junior2552 (Post 1044543)
Now you're picking a fight with a vet who knows what they're talking about. Ready to look like a moron?

Wow, arrogant prick much? To be honest its entertaining so please don't stop, I just wanted to point it out.

My f4i had the hard start when hot problem for a while. After riding good and turning it off then trying to re start in the 1-2minute range. It did it maybe 4-5 times between 5,000 to 32,000 miles. I did a valve adjustment finally and since then its never had a problem [at 47k now]

Junior2552 04-26-2011 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by spoolie25 (Post 1044173)

I'm pretty sure that looks like you said you have a carb, champ.

Junior2552 04-26-2011 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by boredandstroked (Post 1044666)
Wow, arrogant prick much? To be honest its entertaining so please don't stop, I just wanted to point it out.

My f4i had the hard start when hot problem for a while. After riding good and turning it off then trying to re start in the 1-2minute range. It did it maybe 4-5 times between 5,000 to 32,000 miles. I did a valve adjustment finally and since then its never had a problem [at 47k now]

I am being an arrogant prick. This is the third thread in two days that I've been on when come punk decides to tell me how they're all certified mechanics and I'm an idiot. It's obnoxious. I told him what I thought it was, told him to do some research about the bike he's riding, then diagnose some stuff. And instead he whined like a bitch. So yes, arrogant prick it is. Sorry, Bored.

Junior2552 04-26-2011 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by spoolie25 (Post 1044600)
first off i never said i had carbs . you have no idea about me just like i dont know about you . so that being said . i have never seen any thing idle at almost 3 grand when cold period i know alot about bikes and cars i was asking if any one else has this problem like i said my friends f4i does not do this as well as my friends old one . so to me that would mean my bike some thing is worng it take 2 min to post up here vrs time trying to figure out what it is . and i guess all the people who posted up on that post are stuoied just like me i guess so what you have built a few bikes i have built bikes cars o and bulit a 92 vw gti with the motor in the hatch with a vr6 turbo in it . but yea your right i am just stupied and you know every thing .. so if your going to keep going with this PLEASE DONT POST HERE THANKS

I didn't say you were stupid, Spoolie. I said quit being an asshole about it. Search the forum, there are so many threads about this stuff. It's so infuriating when you tell someone a solution, and all you get back is, "I'm a mechanic yadayadayada." Then you wouldn't have asked....

Props on the Dub. I have a MK2 gti on BBS's. I kept the motor where it started though. Same with the BMW, and the Subaru, and the Rabbit... I'm not a know-it-all. I said it out of experience.