F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Fuel Return Pipe leaking

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2013, 05:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel Return Pipe leaking

Hello fellow cbr owners, i bought a 2004 cbr 600 f4i as mt first bike and loving.
I had to change the fuel return line that goes from the fuel tank to the fuel pressure regulator because it ripped itself twice and became too short. Honda said i need to wait for the OEM part till July so I picked up a fuel line from canadian tire, problem is it started leaking after 10mins of riding, keeps getting ripped from the tank side right where the end of metal piece is from the tank itself.

Any ideas what am i doing wrong, 3 pipes in a row, is it me or the something else

Thanks in advance

Old 05-29-2013, 05:06 PM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

I'm not sure what you could be doing wrong, but it's just a bulk piece of fuel hose that connects the two. The proper grade hose, the correct diameter, with correct clamping should seal fine.

Pictures would help...

Old 05-29-2013, 05:21 PM

thanks 74demon for a quick reply

so it seals fine but after a bit the metal part from the tank side rips a hole in the pipe and it leaks fuel, it happend to the OEM pipe as well after I took it off and back on again.

pictures coming soon..

Added the picture, I also changed the pipe but happened again.
Seems like it happens when I tighten the tank screws, slowly starts to drip, also seems like something for below might be causing it. Any ideas?

Thanks for the help

Attached Thumbnails Fuel Return Pipe leaking-pipe-crack.jpg  

Last edited by Shaheryar Ali; 05-29-2013 at 09:30 PM.
Old 05-29-2013, 10:36 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Fuel line

It may be too short?? If the return port is clogged in the tank then pressure will build in the hose and may cause it to burst. Make sure there isn't anything hitting the line, and it isn't being damaged while moving the tank. I believe the fuel pressure is 51 psi, though a return hose should not have this kind of pressure the hose itself should be rated for such pressures.

Old 05-29-2013, 11:15 PM

Originally Posted by Bryce Swartzwelder
It may be too short?? If the return port is clogged in the tank then pressure will build in the hose and may cause it to burst. Make sure there isn't anything hitting the line, and it isn't being damaged while moving the tank. I believe the fuel pressure is 51 psi, though a return hose should not have this kind of pressure the hose itself should be rated for such pressures.
Its not short actually it's longer. I'm not sure if the return port is clogged. I do think its touching the part where the shock is connected.

Old 05-30-2013, 12:38 AM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

Is the hose new rubber? That's what happens to old line, it cracks.

Old 05-30-2013, 03:12 AM

Originally Posted by 74demon
Is the hose new rubber? That's what happens to old line, it cracks.
Yes sir new rubber, BNIP

Old 05-30-2013, 11:14 PM

Here are some more pictures and it clearly shows the the pipe is touching the shock. I put the clamp where the pipes were tearing from and as you can see the clamp metal is touching the shock. I am an engineer but I cant figure out why would it do that. The two tank screw holes in the back are suspended about half an inch in the air, if I start to tighten them it puts pressure on the pipe against the shock.

I hope it explains my problem better.

Attached Thumbnails Fuel Return Pipe leaking-img_20130531_000009.jpg   Fuel Return Pipe leaking-img_20130531_000004.jpg  
Old 06-01-2013, 08:00 AM
Super Moderator
Received 496 Likes on 449 Posts

Well I just went out and took this photo of how my fuel lines are routed. You can clearly see that the return line should not be touching/hitting the upper shock mount. Maybe this will help clue you in to what is wrong by comparing the two.

Name:  DSC05885.jpg
Views: 3763
Size:  68.1 KB

Old 12-17-2017, 08:33 AM

Hello guys,
I am new here

I have the same problem with my F4i fuel return line - the metal part sticking out from the fuel tank is facing directly the shock when the fuel tank is down. I changed several fuel lines and they all started leaking after a few days. Only later I noticed that the fuel return hose is pinched directly by the shock.

Did you manage to solve the problem? I initially thought that I lost several parts from the fuel tank assembly and that lowered the tank, but after thorough checking doesn't appear to be so.

It would be greatly appreciated if someone shared their insights on how you solved this - it's so annoying and I want to ride my bike

Thanks in advance guys

Quick Reply: Fuel Return Pipe leaking