F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Fuel prime, no spark, no injection

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2020, 12:59 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I checked all the grounds, they're all good. I physically removed an injector and bench tested it, fluid came out the bottom of it nicely. While I was probing ECU grounds, i found the "pink" wire had ground with the power off. I turned it on to double check that it was in fact the ignition wire and read 10.7VDC. Previously it was 9.02 when I measured it at the ignition. I checked at the ignition again and 10.7, same as ECM.

The pump still primes with everything hooked up. Does this seem right?? Maybe I'll take a 9 volt battery to the pink wire tomorrow and see what I can do with it. I'm done for the night.
I'm losing my mind. This is very frustrating. I feel like I've checked everything. I've even tried going straight off off a 600cca battery I robbed from my truck to eliminate voltage drop concerns.
I will try again tomorrow after a fresh night of sleep, and of course work all day.

Thanks again for the help by the way, I really appreciate it. I wish more people would chime in.

Old 04-28-2020, 01:03 PM
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

From what u wrote (pump primes, runs fine once started), Im inclined to say it sounds like the ecu... Sounds like u've tested everything I could think of. I dont know of any way to diagnose the ecu other than by process of elimination (which u r doing) or by a parts swap. (got any buddies with running f4i's??)
I cant say why the volts changed on the pink wire but it seems to me it should fire regardless since its getting >9 and ur fuel pump primes.

Old 04-28-2020, 03:10 PM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

I'm not sure if the pink wire cuts the pump or not, but it will cut the ecu signals to the coils and injectors. It needs to be close to 9v. 10.7 is too high.

Old 04-28-2020, 03:48 PM

From what I know it will also cut the pump... I could be wrong though. Have to admit I dont know much about the ignition/antitheft system. What could have caused his reading to change just like that?

Old 04-28-2020, 03:59 PM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

Resistor on the ignition switch going bad causes the voltage to not drop enough.

Old 04-28-2020, 09:41 PM

Originally Posted by SunBlue
From what u wrote (pump primes, runs fine once started), Im inclined to say it sounds like the ecu... Sounds like u've tested everything I could think of. I dont know of any way to diagnose the ecu other than by process of elimination (which u r doing) or by a parts swap. (got any buddies with running f4i's??)
I cant say why the volts changed on the pink wire but it seems to me it should fire regardless since its getting >9 and ur fuel pump primes.
It no longer starts. Hasn't started in a long time.

Old 04-28-2020, 09:42 PM

Well, I didn't have coils or injectors when it was at 9v... maybe I need to forcefully make it 9v and see what I get.

Again, I appreciate the help.

Old 04-28-2020, 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by SunBlue
From what I know it will also cut the pump... I could be wrong though. Have to admit I dont know much about the ignition/antitheft system. What could have caused his reading to change just like that?
That is another mystery. This bike is a mystery it seems. I really don't like jumping into problems that other people have failed to solve with parts swapping, but here I am, and this is what I have. I'll cease the pouting and whining lol

Old 04-28-2020, 09:46 PM

I won't be able to do any more troubleshooting until this weekend. I'm working 12's now and have a retirement party at my house on Friday. Probably gonna be cleaning up Saturday. Might not want to do anything Sunday. I'm thinking I just might order an ECM. Unless I have a few wild dreams or quick last second ideas besides giving the thing 9v from a battery on the pink wire or any other wild bright ideas. I'm burned out.

Old 04-29-2020, 02:47 PM

Sorry mustve got confused about part with the mechanics getting it to run.
Still its got to be ur ignition system or ecu since you've checked everything else. Worst case scenario is you get a new ecu and ignition. I dont like to throw parts at a bike ***** nilly either, but sometimes thats the only thing left I can think of, and often times it does work as a last resort
You sound like you're one step away from setting the thing on fire and sending it over a cliff tho, lol. Remember at the end of the day its just a bike. Dont stress, give yourself a break and start with a fresh mind, no matter what you decide to do.

Quick Reply: Fuel prime, no spark, no injection