F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Fuel pressure Regulator???

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2008, 09:14 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel pressure Regulator???

I have an 01 F4I with 6000 miles on it. I just purchased the bike. The bike runs just fine. However, the bike will start up right away..after about 30 sec or so you will begin to see light smoke coming out of the exhaust until completly warmed up.After riding forany lenght of timeI stop and shut the bike off, come back say in 10 min I have to give it gas to get it started again. The bikes power is not fullythere until it reaches around 9 rpm. Which leads me to believe when it hits the higher rpm's it can finally burn the fuel the being put in there. It seems as the bike is running too rich. I am only getting about 22 MPG ( I have run 5 tanks all the same, reserve light comes on around 75 miles). What can be causing this?? I am under the impression its the fuel pressure regulator. WIll this cause this problem I am having?

Old 09-03-2008, 09:51 AM
Default RE: Fuel pressure Regulator???

yeah try the FPR first. i had similar problems and it took care of them.
________
Hashish

Last edited by Rick619; 03-21-2011 at 03:37 AM.
Old 09-03-2008, 10:44 AM

How easy is it to fix? Can you give me directions on how to do it? Thanks!

Old 09-03-2008, 04:44 PM

Very easy fix, two 8mm bolts and 2 hose clamps. Should be able to change it in about 15mins...=-)

Pull your tank, look on the back side of the throttle body assembly (should be towards the rear of the tank). Also, its located on the left side of the bike, if you're sitting on the bike. Anyways, it looks like the picture below.....Just undo the 8mm bolts and unhook the 2 hose clamps. Change the FPR with a new one and hook the hose clamps back up, screw the bolts back in and your good to go....pRetty simple...=-)

Old 09-03-2008, 07:07 PM

ORIGINAL: hott327z71

How easy is it to fix? Can you give me directions on how to do it? Thanks!
feel free to hit me up on email or one of the chat clients listed in my profile. i've changed mine & helped a few others change theirs.

the low mpg indicates to me your flooding the engine pretty good. have you noticed any gasoline in the oil? with your bike on the kick stand can you see any fluid in the oil indicator window?

Old 09-03-2008, 08:52 PM

I orderd the part today, should be here in a couple days. I have not noticed any gas in the oil, but i have not checked it. when the bike is on the kickstand i see no fluid, only when i have the bike in riding position will i see the oil level. I posted another topic the other day titled "600 f4i horrible gas mileage" that will explain the problems I have been having. If you have anymore questions for me let me know!
Thanks!