F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Fuel overflow question

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2010, 12:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel overflow question

hey i was wondering if it was ok, to block off the fuel overflow hose coming o ut og the bottom of my bike? i think theres something fishy going on, when i fill up, i usually go until the pump stops by itself. as soon as i come back out after paying, fuel is pissing out of the hose, and it keeps leaking for like a good 20 mins. can the hose in the tank be positioned wrong or something? i check the tank after its done leaking and its only about 3/4 full? do i have a problem, or should i just be watching more carefully when im getting gas?

Old 03-22-2010, 04:34 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you need to check your tank for issues and make sure your hooked up correctly. the overflow goes to a hole under the cap to the side of the fill hole so if your leaking out of the tank your leaking from the line to the fi or the line to the fpr.

Old 03-22-2010, 05:40 PM

if it was leaking from the fpr, wouldnt it leak everytime i run and then shut off the bike?.. this only happens once right after i fill up, and wont happen again until after i need to fill up again

Old 03-22-2010, 05:56 PM

Maybe you just fill it up past the point you should... then when you lean it on the side-stand it all pours out the overflow? try filling it up slightly less than brimming full next time and see if it still happens.

Old 03-30-2010, 11:29 PM

so i filled up again and watched when the fuel would start leaking out the overflow tube...the tank isnt near full when it starts coming out. i decided to just block it off and ill open it up and drain whatever is sitting in the tube into a jerry can before i get gas....my question is how high up does the tube go into the tank, cuz im thinking there may just be a crack in the hose or something like that...i saw that the previous owner also had it blocked off, cuz i can see the marks left by the gear clamp...anyone with any insight on this dilemna would be greatly appreciated

Old 03-31-2010, 03:34 PM

Wont the bike vapor-lock if you plug the overflow? Or dose it have a separate breather?

Old 03-31-2010, 08:48 PM

i drove like that all sunday afternoon with no problems...i even shut off the bike for about 10 mins to pick something up and it started right back up again...there are 2 hoses that come out of the bottom of the tank so im thinking one of them is the vent tube, possibly??

Old 03-31-2010, 09:59 PM

I think one is the overflow and one is the vent.

Old 04-01-2010, 09:30 AM

ok, so i had to put a new tank on mine when i bought it so i know what youre talkin about. the OVERFLOW tube runs up to the little hole right under the gas cap and the VENT tube runs in the tank to the top. the vent line is the one that comes out on the RH rear of the tank and has the little elbow joining the 2 lines. after there they run together on the LH side of the bike down past the shifter. Now, for the bad news, both have a tube through the tank and one of them has a crack in it right at that level where it starts to leak. I know I dont have the tools at my house to fix it and assume that unless you have a shop you prob dont either. Best bet get a new tank from the bay. thats what I did. but the outside of mine was cracked. Now, cheap fix, see which tube it actually is and if its the OVERFLOW just plug the damn thing and call it a day. But, if its the vent, a long ride can "POP" your tank with pressure. thats why mine needed a tank. the last guy pinched the vent while doing the shtty paint job. hope its the overflow my fingers are crossed for ya.

Old 04-01-2010, 09:38 AM

oh PS if you block the overflow dont set the bike in rain cause thats how the water gets out of your caps seam. if not you'll end up with wet gas.

Attached Thumbnails Fuel overflow question-f4i-fuel-cap.jpg  

Quick Reply: Fuel overflow question