F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Fuel odor

Old 03-16-2014, 11:47 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel odor

So i just had my 01 f4i delivered to me up here in New York. Took it off the trailer onto the snow. Anyways im noticing a fuel odor when the bike is on. idk if im overreacting or what. I have not ridden it yet, besides first gear up and down my driveway. It seems to rev great through all rpms. Only a little bit of white smoke upon start up because its 15 degrees outside im assuming. Does anyone else have an f4i that has a fuel odor? iver done some research and ive heard everything from a fuel pressure regulator to spark plugs to valve seals.

Am i over reacting? Also, i see no signs of a leak on the ground..

Old 03-16-2014, 12:26 PM

I have the same thing, I thought mine was due to an aftermarket pipe (scorpion) changing the back-pressure but I could be 100% wrong. I hope other people chime in because I want to know too. @OP is your pipe stock?

Old 03-16-2014, 12:39 PM

My f4i has a Devil high mount carbon fiber slip on. Lets hope were just thinking too much, at least were not alone! haha

Old 03-16-2014, 01:01 PM
Welcome Crew Technician
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, start with the basics. Where does it smell like its coming from? You are talking out the back of the pipe? Just in general around the bike? Stronger in the middle?

We can diagnose and eliminate.

Prop the tank up by removing the rear 2 bolts. Use a 2 by or something to hold it up. You will also have to loosen (not remove) the front 2 bolts as well. Start the bike. On the left side of the bike right at the fuel rail (in front of the throttle bodies) you will see this. On the left side of the FPR is the vacuum hose. Pull it and see if it is leaking any fluid. Fuel there means a faulty FPR. Not the fuel return line, you can leave that hose alone. Name:  Picture007-1.jpg
Views: 1174
Size:  100.8 KB

Next thing. Pull a plug. Check for fuel wetness. Report back.

-Poss

Last edited by PossibleOne; 03-16-2014 at 01:04 PM.
Old 03-27-2014, 03:25 PM

Got a drip of fuel out of the vacuum hose. Just ordered my FPR (44$). The previous owner only put on 800 miles over the last 2 years, should have know. The diaphram must have cracked due to its sitting and non-use. Will update when i recieve and install the FPR, should be really simple. anyone have any tips or tricks for install? when i remove the FPR will i put air into the fuel rail? will it start right back up?

Old 03-27-2014, 03:41 PM
Welcome Crew Technician

Make sure you get this part O-RING, PRESSURE REGULATOR 16741-PG7-005. It is the o-ring for inside the FPR and the FPR will not come with it. Make sure you use the correct torque value. I think it is 6 pounds. Double check though. Other than that, just take your time and you will be ok. The air thing not to worry about it. And so long as there is nothing else a miss it should fire back up.

-Poss

Old 03-27-2014, 04:16 PM

Am i screwed without the O ring? also my oil has a fuel scent to it and little white swirls sometimes, that coincide with the FPR? (needs an oil change anyway)

Old 03-27-2014, 05:12 PM
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

If the bike is dumping fuel into the cylinders some can make it past the rings and dilute the oil. Change the oil and FPR at the same time. Where did you find one for only $44? Its like $60 something on motosport.com.......

Old 03-27-2014, 05:39 PM
Welcome Crew Technician

Originally Posted by Kellogzzz
Am i screwed without the O ring? also my oil has a fuel scent to it and little white swirls sometimes, that coincide with the FPR? (needs an oil change anyway)
Yes, you need the oring. It is a nessacary as the FPR itself, it goes with it, period. Its cheap, just order it. But like B said, where did you get it? Used one? How much white is in your oil?

-Poss

Old 03-27-2014, 09:20 PM

I found it on Partzilla, after a google search. 48$ my mistake.

16740-MBW-J32 REGULATOR, PRESSURE $48.17

It came out to 54$ after shipping. Does the oring go bad? or is it the diaphram within the regulator were concerned about here? Both?

I do plan on changing the oil after installing the FPR. I noticed the oil was low after i put the bike under some light and on a rear stand to replace the sprockets and chain(oil at or just below bottom of sight glass). Keep in mind i have just purchased this bike a few weeks ago. I have not changed the oil on this bike yet. Anyways, i took off the oil cap and imediately noticed a fuel smell and a bit of white film on the bottom of the oil cap itself. Couldnt quite get enough light into the oil cap hole to see the oils color closer however, i thought i saw one thin white swirl in the oil so i drained a bit for a sample. Sample didnt produce a swirl but i spotted a swirl as it was draining. oil was mostly black with a bit of dark brown.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Fuel odor