F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

fuel and miles until fillup

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2006, 12:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fuel and miles until fillup

What type of fuel to you guys use in your f4i's? I've got an 06 I'm putting the premium gas in and I get about 152 miles until ALL 4 of my reserve bars are blinking. Then its about a 3.89 gallon fill up at the station. Is that about right? Also, maybe kind of off topic, when my bike is off and I push it I can hear some sort of scratching or rubbing noise which sounds like it's coming from the front. Is that normal too? Sounds like perhaps the brakes are touching the discs.

Mike

Old 07-06-2006, 12:15 PM
Default RE: fuel and miles until fillup

That's alot of miles to the 4 bar reserve point - you must be taking it easy. I usually fill up (89 octane) at about 120 miles, with 4 reserve bars - right at 3.89 gallons. I'll admit to being addicted to high rpm shifts for 1st and 2nd - oh well.

I hear the noise you describe too. I'm not sweating it - that's what the warranty is for.

Old 07-06-2006, 12:43 PM
Fox
Banned

First problem is the fact that you're using premium so you're going to be taking a hit on fuel economy and performance. Using the octane you're supposed to be using, you should net a few more miles before reserve.

Old 07-06-2006, 03:27 PM

i use 89 all the time, and i get when i measure it aout between 42-45 MPG. that when im just going to work and **** and back, when im riding i get around 35-38.
and the scraching is probably your brakes, mine was ddoing this right before i deployed and it actually started to "scratch" the rotor a little bit which i probably waited to late, so now ill just get new front rotor as well. but make sure you catch it in time

Old 07-06-2006, 08:14 PM

I just remembered something....I have a SpeedoHealer, so my mileage is going to be 5%-6% lower than people without one. Mine being more correct.

Old 07-06-2006, 11:09 PM

i just did a check on this cause some folks told me i would get crap for mileage with out the o2 sensor hooked up. i did 2 tanks and checked the mileage. 1st tank got 143miles till the 4 bars showed up and the 2nd tank got 140miles till the bars, and that is with running the exspensive gas. on a 06 model with slipon.

Old 07-06-2006, 11:17 PM

when im around town i hit about 120 miles when the first reserve light turns on and i have a speedohealer also. . .thats whehn im riding around town

when im blasting down the highway (i just got back from a 500mi trip to savannah ga and back) the light would come on at like 105-110 miles. but i was crusiing between 90-110 pretty much the entire ride.

acutally i think my odo clocks slower now that the speedo is adjusted right. . cause most odo's are pretty accurate from what i read on the speedo healer site and the speedo is the only thing that is off and that makes sense since from st. augustine to orlando is like 102 miles and my odo only registered 90. i just checked that on mapquest

Old 07-07-2006, 01:11 AM

You have to remember that distances between cities are usually measured from city centers.

My money says that your odo is right NOW.

My mileage is just about like yours exactly.

Old 07-07-2006, 02:19 AM

no man i measured address from the gas station i filled up and then directed it to my house. . . .102 or whatever miles. . my odo only reg'd 90

taken from the speedohealer website

5. Will the SH calibrate both my speedo and odometer?

Yes, but it is not possible to calibrate them separately, as one speed signal drives both the speedometer and the odometer.

You can get 100% accurate speedometer AND 100% accurate odometer only on those bikes, which have zero "speedo-to-odo" error ratio (see FAQ #16) built-in, such as the Yamaha FJR1300.

On most bikes, if the speedo is calibrated to be 100% accurate, the odo will register slightly less miles. While this can be annoying in certain situations, one can always calculate the real distance easily after a long trip.

Alternatively, of course, you can get the factory default indication regardless of the used sprocket ratio: accurate odometer and slightly optimistic speedo.

With our on-line calculator, you can optimize the calibration value easily for either speedo or odo.

16. What is the "Speedo-to-Odo error ratio"?

There is one speed signal which drives both the speedometer and the odometer.

However, the manufacturers make the display units such a way that the speedometers usually read high, while the odometers are quite accurate on stock vehicles.

Speedo to odo error ratio is the quotient of the indicated speed, and the speed which drives the odometer internally.

This error ratio is fixed in the dashboard logic, i.e. it's bike model specific and will be constant no matter what you change on your bike.

The speedo to odo error ratio is almost the same as the initial (factory) speedo error, considering that the odometers are usually accurate on stock vehicles.

Old 07-07-2006, 02:45 AM

learnin somthing new every day

Quick Reply: fuel and miles until fillup