F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Fuel filter?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2013, 09:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel filter?

I recently bought my first bike, a 2001 Honda CBR600f4i. I got it home and it ran fine, but the next morning it wouldn't start. I decided to pull the plugs and order new ones, so while I was waiting for them I decided to see if I could locate any other problems.
As I stated earlier, this is my first bike and my knowledge is almost non-existent.
So I came across what I believe to be the fuel filter? A hose comes straight off the tank into it, and a hole on the backside letsfuel into the engine, while another smaller hose comes out the other end. My question is, are you supposed to be able to blow air through these like a normal filter?
Sorry for the wall of text and thanks for any answers in advance.

Old 03-13-2013, 09:25 PM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

Your fuel filter is inside the fuel tank on the fuel pump bracket. I don't know what you're looking at, but it's not the filter.

Last edited by 74demon; 03-13-2013 at 09:28 PM.
Old 03-13-2013, 09:28 PM
June 2013 ROTM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So does it turn over and just not start? Lights? Does it pop a bit but not catch?

"Wouldn't start" isn't alot to go on.

Old 03-13-2013, 09:52 PM

I think I figured out how to post pictures haha. As for not starting, it was running fine that morning, and I went back out, it started for a second and then died. After that it would just crank but not catch. I regret to say I dont remember what lights were on before I tore it down.

Old 03-13-2013, 10:14 PM

you are talking about a fuel pressure regulator i believe....
Name:  Picture007-1.jpg
Views: 2366
Size:  100.8 KB
since you are new to bikes in general.. i STRONGLY suggest you get a service manual for your bike... there is more info in that book than you will ever believe.... enough info you could take a bike that is in pieces and make it like new .. get it read and you will know everything you need to know...almost everything i mean lol

Old 03-13-2013, 10:18 PM

so ur bike doesn't start and u decided it needed new plugs...? when u were at it..did u at least check to see if it was sparking?

Old 03-13-2013, 10:20 PM

Originally Posted by stlcbr600f4_newb
you are talking about a fuel pressure regulator i believe....

since you are new to bikes in general.. i STRONGLY suggest you get a service manual for your bike... there is more info in that book than you will ever believe.... enough info you could take a bike that is in pieces and make it like new .. get it read and you will know everything you need to know...almost everything i mean lol

Yes thats exactly it! Ill definitely have to get a manual.
Any other ideas for the no start? I can hear the pump priming. If im lucky the plugs will be here tomorrow, if not then Friday.

Old 03-13-2013, 10:23 PM

Originally Posted by mnguyen84
so ur bike doesn't start and u decided it needed new plugs...? when u were at it..did u at least check to see if it was sparking?
Being a new to me bike I decided to just go through the bike. I pulled one plug and it looked pretty bad so i just had the shop order some. After doing some research I figured i needed to look further into the problem.

Old 03-13-2013, 10:27 PM
June 2013 ROTM

Originally Posted by mnguyen84
At least plugs are cheap (side note... why order plugs for the bike, they have them in stock at any auto store).

I've come across many threads that were along the line of "someone told me my carbs needed cleaning, so i said screw it, ill just buy new carbs LOL"

meanwhile 'new' carbs means old ones that have been sitting on a shelf for 10 years and are full of ****.

/rant

jonezy: despite the name, stlcbr600f4_newb is exactly right about getting the FSM. There is no use just throwing darts at a wall trying to find solutions. A FSM lays out troubleshooting very well. Feel free to pick out collective brains for any info - just give us all the info you can!

Old 03-13-2013, 10:34 PM

plugs are def not cheap. f4i plugs are like $11 a pop

okay. similar to cars, a common cause for no starts is the battery. try jump starting the bike as if it were a car. if that doesnt work then you need to describe to us what's going on so we can chime in.

when you turn the key to ON. do u hear an EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE sound coming from the fuel tank? do the headlights come on? when you try to start it... what does it sound like? do you hear the starter trying to turn?

you can put the old plugs back in to test out these things..or wait for the new ones.

Quick Reply: Fuel filter?