F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Front Brakes - Bleed / Pads

Old 08-30-2008, 08:54 PM
WOT
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front Brakes - Bleed / Pads

Not my first time working on brakes but still a few questions: [ul][*]I put some new EBC hh pads on the front of my bike a few days ago. I know they need to break in and the package said 250 miles of in town stop and go riding. First few days were really weak and they were starting to pick up but not much (probably put 30 miles of hard stop and go on so far) . Have you guys noticed these take 250 miles to really feel normal because I don't remember that in the past.[*]So I bled the front today and noticed a slight increase in performance but still not grabbing at 100%. I did the left side first and then did about 2 times more on the easier right side to swap most of the old fluid out. Haven't had duel calipers on a bike in a while, so I wasn't sure the best procedure with 2 calipers. Any help would be great. The honda factory manual isn't that helpful with specifics and speaks more about using a bleeding tool. [/ul]Thanks!

Old 08-30-2008, 09:09 PM
Admin Emeritus & MVN
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Front Brakes - Bleed / Pads

I take off the rotors and hit them with some 800grit to remove the glaze. Also use a mityvac to bleed the brakes. New pads usually grip fairly quickly ... maybe 20 to 30 miles of average city riding.

Since yours started feeling better after you bled them I'd suggest bleeding out all the old fluid. New brake juice ... nothin like it

Old 08-30-2008, 09:17 PM
WOT

Ok, thanks for the advice. That's what I was thinking. Don't really want to spend the money on the mityvac but might be a good idea in the future.

One other thing I was wondering if anyone has noticed, do you think it's possible that wheelies can cause air to get in the line?

Old 08-30-2008, 09:35 PM

There is just air in the line which is causing the brakes to not work right.

Wheelies will not cause air in the line as long as there is enough fluid in the master cylinder.

It is VERY hard to get all the air out when bleeding...most times you have very miniscule bubbles that you cant even see.

That is why I use the SpeedBleeders.

https://www.riverwayracing.com/store...t=0&page=1

If you want some, I will cut you a deal on them and then you can tell everyone else here how good they are!

Old 08-30-2008, 10:08 PM
WOT

Hey, thanks. I totally agree about speed bleeders, have had then on other bike and need to put some on this one. I think I will bleed some more. There were lots of little bubbles coming out and I think it might take some more bleeding to get them all.

Old 08-31-2008, 02:27 PM

Air might be leaking in through the bleed valve. Get some thread tape or the speedbleeder goop and that might help as well.

Old 08-31-2008, 04:56 PM
WOT

Thanks, I bled both sides a lot more today and it's better, I am going to keep an eye on it and possibly replace some things if needed. The bike has over 20K on it, so it might be time for SS lines.