F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

front brake lock up!?!??!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2011, 05:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default front brake lock up!?!??!!

let me start off by saying i just replaced my clutch and brake levers.

but anyway, i was riding and approached a light. i came to a stop. then when i started going again i got about 10 feet and the front brake just locked up and i didnt even have the lever pulled in.

could i have put the lever on wrong? i mean it was a pretty simple thing to do but not sure if there was anything i might have needed to do besides just swap out the levers?

i just dont want it to happen to me like if i were to be on the freeway and the front brake were to just engage, i might be in trouble

Old 01-04-2011, 08:58 PM

My friend had the same issue on his Suzuki katana. We were never able to figure out why it did it but it didn't seem to do it anymore after we bled the brakes.

Old 01-05-2011, 12:24 AM

Were the levers name brand or knock-offs?

I've seen the knock-off levers not completely open (not letting the plunger release), so the return was obstructed, preventing the fluid from returning; the fluid will expand from heat and then your brakes come on. Visually inspecting the lever, you couldn't really tell a difference. But just a millimeter difference caused it. Replaced the lever with a better one, and it worked fine.

Last edited by randyjoy; 01-05-2011 at 12:33 AM.
Old 01-05-2011, 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by randyjoy
Were the levers name brand or knock-offs?

I've seen the knock-off levers not completely open (not letting the plunger release), so the return was obstructed, preventing the fluid from returning; the fluid will expand from heat and then your brakes come on. Visually inspecting the lever, you couldn't really tell a difference. But just a millimeter difference caused it. Replaced the lever with a better one, and it worked fine.

ehh it was just some levers from ebay. i guess i should stop bein cheap and go get some good ones. any recomendations?

Old 01-06-2011, 09:19 AM

yup it was the cheap ebay levers. i put the stock ones back on and it doesnt do it anymore, thanks

Old 01-08-2011, 03:36 AM

You're welcome! Glad you got it fixed before it decided to do a stoppie on the freeway.

Pazzo is great, I have ASV on my 954 and CRG on my 600. Both work great.

Old 01-08-2011, 11:12 AM
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

I wish ASV would make f4i levers. Pazzos feel like ebay crap

Old 01-08-2011, 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by pocfoo
yup it was the cheap ebay levers. i put the stock ones back on and it doesnt do it anymore, thanks
That's kind of scary. There ae alot of people rocking those. Do they really apply that much brake or jusr enough where you could feel it? Could you see what was wrong with them?

Old 01-08-2011, 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by jp_greenville13
That's kind of scary. There ae alot of people rocking those. Do they really apply that much brake or jusr enough where you could feel it? Could you see what was wrong with them?
I've seen this personally three times, and on various boards I'm on about a dozen times now. Any application of the brake - end of the driveway, red light, etc. starts the process. One I saw literally locked the front. You couldn't even roll the bike until it cooled off.

Not all the levers seem to do it. I know two guys, identical bikes, both bought the same levers on eBay, one brake lever does it the other does not. Poor tolerances in manufacturing, I'd imagine.

Old 01-08-2011, 06:16 PM

Hmm. Interesting. I pmd pocfoo to see if he'd be willing to let me have a look and see what the problem is and if its fixable. Still waiting to hear back. That's pretty scary stuff

Quick Reply: front brake lock up!?!??!!