F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Fork seal question

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2009, 11:40 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fork seal question

alright so i might have been rough-housing with my bike last year right before i put it to bed for the winter and i broke one of the fork seals. The plan is to remove the forks from my bike and take them to the shop to have the seals redone and fork oil changed. Would it be worth shelling out the extra beans at this time for the valve upgrades or is the difference too unnoticeable to justify the expense. i have no experience with suspension upgrades on bikes other than steering dampers.

Old 03-16-2009, 05:35 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Depends. You'd want springs too. A shock wouldn't hurt either.

Some shops are competent enough at modifying the stock valves. Here's my experience with suspension upgrades:
https://cbrforum.com/forum/product-reviews-29/results-new-suspension-41985/

Old 03-16-2009, 05:36 PM

Depends. You'd want springs too. A shock wouldn't hurt either.

Some shops are competent enough at modifying the stock valves. Here's my experience with suspension upgrades:
https://cbrforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=41985

When did they enable a 30 second wait between posts???? What kinda crap is that??? (okay, rant over)

Old 03-16-2009, 10:23 PM

could you give me a source on suspension parts?

Old 03-16-2009, 10:29 PM

Racetech, GP Suspensions, Traxxion Dynamics, Ohlins and there's also a place that I talked to that I think could do well modifying the stock valves (phil@aftershocks-suspension.com)

Old 03-16-2009, 11:05 PM

man.. forks are EXPENSIVE. all i can afford are stiffer springs and the racetech valve kit. would that even be worth it though?

Old 03-16-2009, 11:22 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oh common Dr. Prime, don't pay the stealership, they'll rob you blind. Didn't we discuss this about the chain too? DIY, you don't even need special tools.lol I'm just breakin your ***** bro, dont take me too seriously. But for real DIY. Yeah that crap ain't cheap. You plan on doin any track days? If not, save your money, or spend it on some mods that will make your bike go SUPER fast like some LEDs, or Halos.

Old 03-17-2009, 12:20 AM

Originally Posted by skoobydoobie
Oh common Dr. Prime, don't pay the stealership, they'll rob you blind. Didn't we discuss this about the chain too? DIY, you don't even need special tools.lol I'm just breakin your ***** bro, dont take me too seriously. But for real DIY. Yeah that crap ain't cheap. You plan on doin any track days? If not, save your money, or spend it on some mods that will make your bike go SUPER fast like some LEDs, or Halos.

yea dude. those angel eyes add +40 lol. i've read the write-ups on fork seals but my time is extremely limited right now. it's near the end-of-the-semester crunch and i'm starting to feel the burn. I'd rather just send the forks out to have fixed/modded and not have to worry about trying to get it done before it gets warm enough at night to leave it outside.

Old 03-17-2009, 12:48 AM

Originally Posted by PrimeDirective
man.. forks are EXPENSIVE. all i can afford are stiffer springs and the racetech valve kit. would that even be worth it though?
Worked wonders for me. Don't get all caught up in this brand or that brand. The magic of suspension is in the shim stack, oil level and tuning the setup. Getting the right spring is important before you mess with hydraulics. But since you're in there may as well, right? You can get close with the stock stuff, but it depends on how and where you ride and your weight.

Old 03-17-2009, 01:07 AM

Originally Posted by Jaybird180
Worked wonders for me. Don't get all caught up in this brand or that brand. The magic of suspension is in the shim stack, oil level and tuning the setup. Getting the right spring is important before you mess with hydraulics. But since you're in there may as well, right? You can get close with the stock stuff, but it depends on how and where you ride and your weight.

streets. i'm from pennsylvania and there are a couple decent semi-mountainous twistie roads around where i live. i'm 5'11" and i weigh 170-175 lbs. i see your point. i suppose anything added just inceases what they have to work with.

Quick Reply: Fork seal question