F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

First Ride!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2005, 12:31 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First Ride!!!

After getting my new helmet, leather jacket and gloves last night I was ready to ride. My wife got home around sundown; I handed the kids off to her and made my way to the street. I live off a gravel road that is roughly 1/2 a mile long so the journey to the paved road was a slow tripod type of effort. When I got to the road I accelerated, eased my feet to the peg and I was riding!

I rode for about 8 miles (had to get back and BBQ some ribs) with no real spooky incident. I did have an unnerving moment in a left curve, the bike didn't seem to want to turn for some reason so I had to slow way down, right curves were no problem. Now I need to figure out why the bike did not turn as well going left, whether I was not turning/leaning enough or what. Any ideas?

Old 12-29-2005, 01:46 PM
Fox
Banned
Default RE: First Ride!!!

ORIGINAL: NC Dave

After getting my new helmet, leather jacket and gloves last night I was ready to ride. My wife got home around sundown; I handed the kids off to her and made my way to the street. I live off a gravel road that is roughly 1/2 a mile long so the journey to the paved road was a slow tripod type of effort. When I got to the road I accelerated, eased my feet to the peg and I was riding!

I rode for about 8 miles (had to get back and BBQ some ribs) with no real spooky incident. I did have an unnerving moment in a left curve, the bike didn't seem to want to turn for some reason so I had to slow way down, right curves were no problem. Now I need to figure out why the bike did not turn as well going left, whether I was not turning/leaning enough or what. Any ideas?
Push more to the right. I had the same problem as you; only took me 5,000 miles to figure it out. Most new riders have issues with right hand turns because you have to modulate your throttle AND push to the left on the right clip-on. Just keep pushing on the left-clip on to the right to get it to turn left.

Did you take the MSF course yet?

Old 12-29-2005, 01:52 PM

I have not taken the MSF course yet. I move to Florida next week and plan on taking it there. Definately on my list of things to do before I take the bike out in high traffic areas. I live in the sticks and only saw 2 cars while I was out riding. I took it very slow and never got squirrely or above 60mph.

Old 12-29-2005, 02:25 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

assuming the bike is ok, it's just something you have to practice. most riders have a tendency to be better at either left or right turns.
others just stink at both and go straight instead.

just keep practicing and eventually, you'll get the hang of it. at least it's not the right turns that's bothering you!

Old 12-29-2005, 04:36 PM

Next time out I will work on the lefts. Thanks for the input!

Old 12-29-2005, 05:16 PM

When your making left hand turns slightly turn your handlebar to the right. This will make your bike dip a little, making it easier to go around corners. Next time your on a straight road, slightly turn your handlebar to one side and you will feel your bike dip to the opposite side. It will become second nature after a while. Good luck on those lefts.

Old 12-29-2005, 05:19 PM

Cool, I will give that a shot. Thanks!

Old 12-29-2005, 07:17 PM

Yea i had that problem i was more confortable leaning one way than the other...just takes getting used to...i took the MSF course and one thing that sticks out in my mind to this day is "trust your bike" i used to think i would bite the pavement if i leaned over anymore, i finally just got used to it and im fine now. I wanna go to an open track day everyone says one day on the track will help me on the streets for the rest of my life...plus i wanna kno what it feels like to scrape the pegs on my F4i hahaha

Old 12-29-2005, 07:43 PM
Banned

NCDave - call the MSF people and reserve your spot in class, this time of year there can be a waiting list down here in Florida because the summer is way too hot to spend the day outside in a parking lot.

Enjoy your bike, push with your left hand you go left, it sounds backwards, but it isn't.

Be careful with that front brake, but be very, very, careful with that back brake. Try to accelerate as you make the turns and enjoy.

Old 12-29-2005, 07:51 PM
Retired Mod

here is a link for the msf and all of their florida class locations. just thought it might help

http://nm.msf-usa.org/msf/ridercourses.aspx?state=FL

Quick Reply: First Ride!!!