F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

First Ride

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2007, 02:22 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First Ride

I went for my first ride in real traffic tonight and that was the craziest thing I have done in a while. Aside from my knees and wrists killing me, this bike is crazy fast and I see how people can get into trouble on these things (the speed limit is so slow!). I can't wait to finally start driving this thing after staring at it in my garage for 5 months.

Old 04-18-2007, 02:47 AM
Retired Moderator
Default RE: First Ride

Just make sure you are never in anyone's blind spot. Always be infront or behind. Also, keep your rpm's up because at any moment you may need to squirt into another lane, ahead of a car, or to the far side of your own lane. When you come to a stop, keep it in first. Again, you may need to take evasive action, and you'll want every split second you have to get out of the way...not shift from neutral to first. You probably already knew all that. Just be careful!

Old 04-18-2007, 03:20 AM

Yeah, the msf class and this forum gave me alot of good info. The only thing I am sketchy on is the whole downshifting from higher gears. I read on here about the rear wheel acting up so i always just held in the clutch till my rpms and speed went way down. Practice makes perfect or something like that.

My mirrors also do not allow me to see anything behind me or even into the next lane really. Is there some quick method to change this without buying a whole new setup?

Old 04-18-2007, 04:06 AM
Retired Moderator

Do you have stock mirrors on? If you do, that is probably going to be the best mirror for actually seeing things and you'll just need to adjust them better. Park in your driveway or garage and look for visial references behind you. Adjust your mirrors so you can see thoseitems you picked out. If they are after market mirrors, that may be the problem. As far as downshifting, you'll get the hang of it.

Old 04-18-2007, 04:07 AM

Just play around with them, They adjust at the mirror base with the ball socket, and back and forth at the base to the fairing. I moved mine forward and around until I found the right spot. I have to move my elbow a little for a full rear view, but not much.

Old 04-18-2007, 02:08 PM

I move my elbow in a bit as well to see right behind me as well. I also know some people who move their elbow away from their body to see behind them... there are lots of different options

Old 04-18-2007, 02:18 PM

The mirrors are the only dark mark I have found on my bike. I think it is that way with all this style bike.

Old 04-18-2007, 02:19 PM

be respectful and wear gear! welcome to the world of sportbikes, you will have the time of your life

Old 04-18-2007, 06:12 PM

as far as downshifting, if u pop the clutch it will grab and ur wheel will go funny
if u let the clutch out slower ur rpms will go up, but ur wheel would "go funny"
thats what ive learned from my experience, but u hit the nail on the head
practice Makes Perfect

Old 04-18-2007, 06:44 PM

Not to thread jack but I just took my bike for the first ride today. I just went up and down my street, and turned around in the cul-de-sac. Im fine shifting and all, but turning around in the cul-de-sac was a little weird(i guess its low speed turns that i need practice with. the front end just feels weird when turning at low speed to me.

Quick Reply: First Ride