F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

First bike - decent deal?

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2007, 01:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First bike - decent deal?

Looking to get my first bike as I have a lot of friends that have been riding. I wanted something relatively cheap for my first bike since I figured I would probably drop it at least once...think this is worth it?

http://dallas.craigslist.org/mcy/465338904.html

2001 f4i w/ 21k, salvage title, $2000. We're going tomorrow to take a look at it, but I don't want to get it and end up spending a ton of money fixing it and then figure out that I might as well have gotten one in great condition to start with. Keep in mind that I have friends that can help me fix it up for free, just parts/time wise that matters.

Thanks for your help!

Old 11-02-2007, 02:10 PM
Registered Users
Default RE: First bike - decent deal?

looks like you'll drop quite a bit into that....you have a bent brake lever, no bar ends, no upper vent covers...a ton of cracked plastics, looks like a beat up exhaust...the chain and sprocket is rusty as hell...a lot of rusty bolts which i would doubt their strength, rotors don't look hot, bet the brake pads are done....

i don't know...it would be a good "project" bike....but you will probably drop conservatively at least $800 to get it to a decent ride....just my opinion...i am sure you could find another one for $3500 or so that is probably in a LOT better condition...but maybe not....

i would just be concerned that everything was straight (forks, frame, etc.) because the lever being bent and the way things look, i bet it went down pretty hard at one point.....dunno though...could be fun to work on...haha...

Old 11-02-2007, 02:20 PM

id look for something else , i give 4000 for an o4 and got a fresh custom paint job at the same time

Old 11-02-2007, 02:22 PM

Hm yeah, that was my main concern, I didn't want to end up putting the same amount of money into it as I would if I just bought a bike in good condition. Maybe I can try to negotiate some more...

Old 11-02-2007, 02:45 PM
Registered Users

yeah to make it even decent...i would say you would spend close to $1k the more i look at it and that's hoping the forks aren't bent and the frame is straight...did they guy have the frame checked.....i mean if the engine runs thats one thing....a bike is made up of a lot of critical components, only one of which is the engine....just make sure if you go with it...that he can provide documentation PRIOR to you buying that everything is all straight and ready to go...i mean if you scrounged you could probably get the parts to make it a franken-bike for $600 or so maybe...??.....but that is assuming all the critical things, frame, engine, forks, brakes, etc are in good shape....

Old 11-02-2007, 04:06 PM
I ♥ CBRF

WAY too much. I wouldn't pay more then 1,700. Just at glance you have tons of parts to get that thing working right and thats not even including fluid changesor a new rear tire. I bought my 03inprime season from a guy in Ft Worth and didn't spend that much. That bike's not going anywhere any time soon and the guy knows it, so talk him down.

Old 11-02-2007, 04:17 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It'll take a lot of work - look at the rust on the bolts on the brake calipers - in addition to being salvaged, it's been neglected outside for a long time...

Pass on it - $1500 (Is that what the remaining good parts would be worth?) would be tops, but I still think it's a moneypit (And I know a money pit - 89 Continentals are MONEYPITS!)

Old 11-02-2007, 05:27 PM

Yeah...going to go and take a look at this one instead for around $2500 hopefully.

http://dallas.craigslist.org/mcy/466303933.html

I think this one is a clean title also, waiting on the guy to call me back.

Thanks for everyone's help.

Old 11-02-2007, 06:06 PM

yo michael, what salvage title bike are you talking about? the blue bike that does not have VIN tag?
be careful with that guy!!!!
the white one is way off to the side too.
i agree with the rest of the dudes here, i know that you want a cheap bike but just the same you should get something that will not give you a head ache.
if you can, go for a older bike in better shape. like the 2000/1999 had an f4 and a nice zx6r and r6.

Old 11-02-2007, 06:14 PM

Keep looking at more bike don't just jump on the 1st one it took me 3 months to find mine and the only problem i had was a bent kickstand.

Quick Reply: First bike - decent deal?