F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

first bike

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2008, 09:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default first bike

Hey guys i am looking at getting my first bike and have found a really nice "04 600 F4i. The only concern i have is that it has 8k miles and im not sure if thats high or not for a bike.
Just wondering what your opinions were on this for a first bike...

Also just a curiosity question that i cant seem to find the answer to, what the average MPG? (obviously riding style will play a huge roll)

any input would be great, thanks
Jeff

Old 04-09-2008, 09:17 PM
Default RE: first bike

that's not too bad. these bikes will go forever with regular Maintenance. How much does he want for it?

Old 04-09-2008, 09:20 PM

he is asking $4500

Old 04-09-2008, 09:46 PM

4500, that's pretty good. As long as she's had regular oil changes, she should run like a champ (unless she's been wrecked or something).

Gas milage varies. Usually between 35-50mpg. Depending on how much hell you give it. Average riding will get you about 45mpg.

8000 miles is about the time to start thinking about new tires if she has the stock ones. An extra expense you'll have to endure. If you go look at it, pay particular attention to the brakes and the discs. That'll give you an indication of how hard she's been ridden by the previous owner.

Old 04-09-2008, 09:51 PM

first bike? hey as much as i love my f4i i would only recommend it as a first bike to someone who rode dirt or is 200+ pounds. If either applies then ya man join the club here on the fourms and say hello to a wonderful piece of engineering.. the f4i =)

Old 04-09-2008, 10:47 PM
July 2008 ROTM

My F4i was my first bike. If you're smart, it's a great starter.

Old 04-09-2008, 10:48 PM

Disagree.

F4i is a perfectly fine (albeit expensive) first bike. I started on one and had no problem - other than dropping it the second day I had it inmy garage!!! It is a very forgiving, easy to ride bike. Just don't ride like an ******* and you should be alright. Only problem you might have is getting your feet flat on the ground if you're less than about 5'9" (not because the seat is particularly high, but because the frame is quite wide making it difficult to straddle and touch the ground) Lots of people have trouble with this at first, but after a couple of years you will hardly notice it.

As everyone will tell you a Motorcycle Safety Course is a real good idea.

Old 04-10-2008, 12:05 AM

ORIGINAL: FLYOU

8000 miles is about the time to start thinking about new tires if she has the stock ones. An extra expense you'll have to endure. If you go look at it, pay particular attention to the brakes and the discs. That'll give you an indication of how hard she's been ridden by the previous owner.
For your own sake DO listen to this guy. I was running on stock 02' tires with about 7000 miles and just lowsided due to the fact that the tires weren't in great condition.

Old 04-10-2008, 12:25 AM

Kitten, why do you say it only a good starter for someone 200+ pounds or if you have ridden dirt? I have on 01 f4i which is my first bike, but I have been riding dirt for a long time and I am 200+ pounds. Im just curious as to why you made that post.

As for the bike, it definatly seems like a good price as long as its in good shape. Make sure it hasn't been laid down or wrecked. Does it have a clean title? If you can get the 04 in nice shape for that price then dont pass it up. I got mine for $4000, with 7200 miles in near mint condition, and the guy I bought it from threw in 2 helmets, a leather jacket and gloves. besides the bike had several after market pieces like a high mount exhaust, windscreen, flush mounts, and a new under tail. The 04 your looking at is almost too good of price and makes me a little suspicious. Just look it over good, and ask alot of questions about it.

Good luck with it, I hope you get it, its an awesome bike!!

Old 04-10-2008, 12:41 AM

reason im of that opinion is that I road dirt and had a 500cc before and coming to a f4i its a whole different ballgame. the 200+ pounds is because the 500cc would struggle too much at top speeds where as the f4i will get just about any rider into the, forgive the tom cruise on a motorcycle reference, "danger zone" in no time flat. its a wonderful bike but man i could see a new rider walking away from the sport fast.

- more acceleration means less time to be observant and focus on improving weaknesses. new riders need that extra time to plan ahead and maybe even a second or two to figure out what gear they're in.
- msf classes only go so far, and im sure the msf guys would have him stay away from a 600cc bike to start with unless its needed for the power or the easy transition from dirt to street. Shifting alone is a challenge for street riding... think about a new rider shifting through a corner on a 500cc vs a f4i.. that f4i is gonna respond alot better than some 250 or 500 would and could leave the poor newbie lying on the ground or worse yet in on comming traffic when he brakes to compenstate too much f4i throttle lovelyness... see what i mean? really id say dont do a 600 and i know all you liter bike guys are gonna feel offended but really start slow and start low when it comes to displacement.

my 2cents