F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

First Bike

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2006, 05:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: First Bike

Maybe it's youth, and i understand wanting to have a "cool" bike--but it just makes so much more sense, both from a safety and financial standpoint to get a 1500 dollar ninja250 or similar starter bike.

my first bike wasn't all that slow (94 f2) but at the very least, when i dropped it it didn't hurt my wallet as much as it would dropping a newer bike. it was nothing $15 worth of rustoleum, some FG, and putty couldn't fix. Meanwhile OEM fairing sets for modern 600's are going for what, 1400 bucks? Or you could rattlecan your new 600 and basically announce to the world that you dropped your bike and couldn't afford to fix it...

Old 09-14-2006, 06:16 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Jordan23

if i were to get this bike i would probably spend 1-2 weeks in a parking lot before i even brought it out onto public streets...
trust me, after a day or two of parking lots you will be bored and over confident....i speak from experience.

Old 09-14-2006, 06:44 PM

Don't kid yourself. The parking lot will just make you confident you can control the bike. That will screw you over as soon as your tires hit a real road.

Think about this. I am experienced street rider. I get "almost" run over at least every time I get on the bike. If I didn't exercise a TON of skills already gained (scanning and predicting, maneuvering, braking/swerving, and panic braking) then I would have been collected by cell phone talking, coffee dringking, paper reading, kid smacking soccer moms in SUV's about ten times over. Experience in predicting is the main skill that will keep you off the pavement. It's not someting you can do if you are still trying to figure out what RPM to shift at and how to smoothly release the clutch. Not to mention figuring how to utilize the brakes without locking the wheels, or endoing yourself into the pavement.

On my daily commutes I never come close to touching what the F4i has to offer. It's really a shame. I have thought about getting a EX250 just so I can save the tires on the F4i, plus teaching my wife to ride. She is 28 and knows the F4i is too much for her to learn on. All it takes is two seconds and you are past 100mph.

You WILL be tempted to open the throttle. If you werent then you would have no opposition to getting a smaller displacement bike. Cracking it open just once to "see what she could do" could end up being your last time. All it takes is rough pavement, rain grooves, or debris in the road and you and Mr. Tankslapper get to meet for the first time. If you have the experience and skill, you just ride it out. If you don't, then you do the wrong thing and catapult yourself at triple digit speed.

Can a EX250 do 100mph? I don't think so. Can a EX500 do 100mph, yes, but it dosent have the razor sharp steering geometry that will induce tank slappers.

Its the rough equivalent of learing to drive in a Convertible V6 Camaro with an auto tranny vs. a Mclaren F1. Can you get from A to B with both? Yes. Can you have fun doing it? Yes. Is the Camaro going to scare the living hell out of you like the McLaren? No. Will the Camaro be less distracting? Yes.

When you were learning to drive, did you have any close calls? Close calls on a bike can still put you on the pavement if you don't know what you are doing. How many times have you heard a guy say "I knew I wasn't going to make it so I just layed her down"? This is "bull****ease" for "I freaked and locked the bike up". It happens a lot with n00b riders. If they knew what the hell they were doing and were scanning ahead, they could have taken evasive action and avoided the accident.

Old 09-14-2006, 07:50 PM

you made some good points...when i said i was going to stay in a parking lot for 1-2 weeks that was a bit of an exaggeration...but i wouldn't leave until i was comfortable...however the only argument you made that negated the 600cc starter bike was the opening the throttle..but everything else was mainly towards motorcycles in general...corect me if i'm wrong...i'm not trying to argue with you just so i can get an f4i i'm just trying to understand a little better...

Old 09-16-2006, 10:58 PM

did everybody stop coming to this post?