F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

finally some corbins!

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2009, 11:09 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default finally some corbins!

Alright so i finally got my corbin seats in the mail yesterday and i'm thrilled. They have red piping and i'm looking to color them black. Any suggestions on what i use for paint to color them black. thanks

Old 03-10-2009, 06:23 PM
Default Black color

Sharpie marker, Shoe polish, rit dye would be my best guesses. Thet make a black "paint" of sorts for touching up the edge of dress shoes that may be a option also.

Old 03-10-2009, 07:35 PM

haha shoe polish?

Most here would agree that shoe polish would be on your *** after a long ride...i was thinking of taking some painters tape and cover up the seat leaving just the piping exposed--painting the piping but thats where im stuck...which paint would be best?

Old 03-10-2009, 07:40 PM
July 2008 ROTM

I'd just leave it as is, personally. Keeps resale value easier, no risk of damaging anything. Can't look THAT bad against your bike.

But that's just me. I don't think Sharpie would look good. I think if I really wanted to, I'd tape it off and spray paint the piping.

Old 03-10-2009, 11:46 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why didn't you just order the seats with the black piping?

Old 03-11-2009, 01:12 PM

I bought them used and i can't wait to try the seat out! What kind of paint do you all believe would stay on the piping?

Old 03-11-2009, 01:51 PM

cman9toes had the right idea, just they make a dye for leather shoes that looks like a polisher. It should come in a bottle with a foam tip and will say leather dye. You should be able to find it in any shoe department or shoe polishing aisle. Its fairly easy to use biggest thing to remember is to not over wet the foam pad cause then it wont be so precise. I use it on my leather gun belt and it works awesome. Im not sure how it will do about dying over another color but it should do fine since you're going black. If it's fake leather Im not sure itll work but give it a shot on a small piece before you do the whole seat.

Old 03-11-2009, 11:11 PM

you can buy paint/dye for it at autozone or any auto place and probably wallmart. its in a spray can and made for doing leather and vinyl. not sure of the brand name. but you could tape off everything but the piping and just spray it. would probably look better than trying to use shoe dye.

Old 03-11-2009, 11:22 PM

Don't mess with it cause chances are something wil go wrong and you will regret doing it. You saved money by buying it used so pay a couple of bucks for a professional upholstery shop to fix it however you want it. I gaurantee they wouldn't use spray paint or a sharpie marker.

Old 03-11-2009, 11:46 PM

The upholstery shop should be able to just remove the piping.

But if the rest of the seat is black there is not a whole lot you can mess up. If it is faux leather the dye may not be as effectve, but leather is leather. They don't raise one cow for shoes and another for seats.

I have used shoe polish to dye shoes different colors and fix blemishes in my leather couch when my 3 year old used a sharpie on it. The goof off removed the brown dye as well as the sharpie. A little brown Kiwi polish and saddle soap and it is as good as new.

I say find a shop and check the cost for removal and the try to turn it black and if it doesn't work out take it to the shop.

Quick Reply: finally some corbins!