F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Fiber glass fairings or stock abs

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2005, 11:04 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fiber glass fairings or stock abs

i have a f4i with a ****ty paint job when i bought it. i was thinking of tearing it down to get repainted my ? is. The fairings i have are OK. i need a new left fairings because the kid i bought it from shaved part of it. besides the fairings are clean. the kid painted over the original color red with yellow. i was wanting to know if you guys think i should just have it sanded down and repainted or buy all new cheetah fiberglass fairings. i could keep my old fairing or sell them on ebay. Also how is the quality of the fiber glass on those kits. i have had body kits on cars and they are a pain in the ***. please let me know i plan on keeping the bike for a while and i want to do it once and i want to do it right Please let me get your opinion.

Old 07-16-2005, 05:22 AM
Default RE: Fiber glass fairings or stock abs

abs is the way to go..i hate fiberglass...my cousin has both left and right side fairings, i need to ask him how much he want to sell it for tho?

Old 07-16-2005, 06:43 AM

i looked at the fairings they are a full fiber glass kit.l so i dont know if i want to get another site or go all abs. when is a go place to look for them let me know thanks

Old 07-16-2005, 08:07 AM

you can either get it brand new oem or try ebay..the place where i order most of my parts is ronayers.com

Old 07-16-2005, 01:20 PM

When i dumped my bike I got a Honda fairing on ebay for 15 bucks plus shipping all it needed was to be sanded, primered and painted. Deff go with OEM, now my front nose fair is a Cheetah fiberglass. The reason for that is that new OEM cost to much, but the fiberglass aftermarket even brand new was very rough and needed to be sanded, I also had to use a rotary tool to smooth all the edges, and there was a weird bump in it that had to be grinded down, then I had to strip the cheap primer off and have it reprimed and painted. So it took alot more work then It should have needed. I also know another person who has aftermarket fiberglass side fairing and the same thing with his, imperfections.

FIBERGLASS SUCKS

Old 07-18-2005, 02:05 PM

Fiberglass IMO is the way to go. First off OEM parts pre painted are going to cost an arm and a leg, and if you dump the bike they are garbage once again. OEM fairing cost half as much as a brand new bike. dump your bike 2 or three times and you might as well buy a new one. Unless you get some crazy ebay deal.. but even that ebay deal needed to be sanded and painted. so now your back to the fiberglass thing again. Fiberglass is easy to fix and shape, and paint sticks alot better to it than plastic. I have a full cheeta body on my bike. I bought the bike wrecked with this body on it. the tail was broken in half and there was damage all around. took me about 2 days only working in my spare time to fiberglass the tail back together and get it sanded back down to where it should be and primered. I will be doing the rest when I get more time. But really if I drop the bike at least I can just fix my panels cheap and know its as strong as the original. It all comes down to the person I guess. I do everything myself, I have built custom sub enclosures out of fiberglass and even created my own bike panels from scratch from it. I like doing things myself and have the satisfaction of a job well done. So if you dont mind putting a little extra time into it go with fiberglass. and even with that said, for the price of a fiberglass part vs oem you could pay a professional painter to finish up the bodywork and paint it to match and still cost less than oem. then you dont have to tinker with anything.

From what I see the Cheeta kit is alot better quality than car body kits that I have seen. This stuff is very flexible, about as much as the stock plastic parts. you can twist and push it without cracking at all.

This is just my opinion though. some people might just like the oem stuff better.

Old 07-18-2005, 02:33 PM

I understand the cost issue but TIME IS MONEY and all the work on the fiberglass is alot, plus its a HONDA print sold to Cheetah because it had to many presses so its not going to even fit 100% maybe 95 but still. Ebay is the best deal on side fairings regardless and yes with used fairings your going to have to sand and prime just like with fiberglass but all said and done its ORIGIONAL and when you go to sell the bike the person whos buying may not notice the OEM but they will notice the bike has aftermarket parts.